Thank you thank you. Haven't seen you on the forum in a long time, glad to see you're still around!
Speaking of abuse, car finally got a little too much abuse at the last event.
After 8 years of drifting, and 6 years of drifting with the car turbo'd, the transmission (NA 5 speed) finally bit the dust. Lost 2nd gear. Carnage photos of transmission for everyone's viewing pleasure.
This came out of the drain plug, good start lol
Splitting the bell housing
All things considered the flywheel looks ok after so many years of clutch kicks and abuse. Obviously a lot of heat, but didn't see any cracks. ACT Streetlite flywheel.
Flyin Miata Level 1 clutch, again held up and lasted surprisingly great
Ordered a new ACT Streetlite flywheel, my buddy is giving me his gently used FM Level 1 clutch and ordered a new pilot bearing. Swapping in a NB 5 speed, hoping that trans lasts me as long as this one did.
Driving photo's from the event. The transmission issue happened on my 4th run of the day, I managed to keep driving using 1st and 3rd gear. Wasn't great but still had a good time driving with my buddies.
Side by side flywheels. Old one looks worse out of the car, pilot bearing was very rough. Didn't expect the pilot bearing to have failed this quickly, not many miles put on the car.
Got the transmission back in the car, learned the NB 5 speed has 2 pins in the turret vs the NA 5 speeds 1 pin at the front.
Called my buddy to see if he had a spare NB shifter, fortunately he did. Unfortunately the turret boot was destroyed, so I had to get the boot off my NA shifter. That was a huge pita.
Used my old NA antenna to pull the boot up onto the shifter, after what feels like an hour I got the boot off.
Had to replace the boot on one of my axles, also had a pretty good clunk. Found a decently worn spot on the star nut, flipped it, and put it back on. Hoping the ball stays off that spot and the clunk is gone.
Axle back together.
Got the car on the ground, and went for a quick test drive. Transmission shifts fine, clutch feels good, will see what happens at the next drift event.
Forgot the car also has Toyota COP's now, and two catch cans. Please ignore how disgusting and filthy my engine bay is, cars a bit of a track rat...yikes.
Also hacked and bent up a radiator shroud from Jegs to fit the Trackspeed Engineering radiator. 1777 cfm 13" SPAL fan, needed to wire in a larger relay, the factory relay kept popping.
Trimmed a few fins to clear the factory sway bar.
Temps have improved, and I can feel the air being pulled through the inter cooler and oil cooler so that's cool.
Lately, I've been struggling with shifting from 2nd to 3rd at higher rpm's. This wasn't always an issue, but it's been getting more difficult as time has gone on. I'm thinking it could be the MazdaComp motor mounts getting, they've been on the car for about 7-8 years. The rubber mazda comps have seen a lot of clutch kicks, hard on throttle and off throttle, and the car being thrown around back and forth throughout those years.
Anyways, picked up the SuperMiata motor mounts. I have poly diff mounts on the car already, so hoping these help out as well.