1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
271 Posts
N/A or NA? i thought NA models you can just adjust the cams... if its for N/A apps you can try the fuse trick.. and from the looks of it you can advance it the same way you can retard it

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
N/A as in naturally aspirated. i have a 03' NB, and yes on the "NA" models, you can 'so-to-speek,' turn the cam sensor.

any input would be greatly appriciated as i am trying to see if something like this could be done safely.

on another note, i may just try it. if my motor blows, oh well... there's still 5K miles on my warranty.

·
Registered
379 Posts
advancing the timing wont blow your motor in 5k, it might couse some damage that will haunt you after 5k though, but either way let me know how it goes, im curious for my 03 to

·
Registered
264 Posts
i remember seeing a thread on miata.net about advancing timing on 01 and later models. some people say you cant because the cars computer automatically advances or retards the timing due to the situation, but there was a way to advance it even though you dont really need to.

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i remember seeing a thread on miata.net about advancing timing on 01 and later models. some people say you cant because the cars computer automatically advances or retards the timing due to the situation, but there was a way to advance it even though you dont really need to.
I did a search on miata.net and found the resistor mod....

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=227858&highlight=advance+timing

I put a 1watt 1000ohm resistor inline with the IAT sensor on the 'airbox.' Supposivly its suppose to "trick" the ECU into thinking that the intake temperatures are lower than they really are thus bumping the timing electronically. A few people have datalogged it to very minimal but noticable differences in HP and gas mileage.

The buttdyno says my car is more torqueier and moves along hills in a taller gear a bit more progressivly than normal. I'd love to get it on a dyno with and without the mod to see real number differences, however, there is no real reasonable place around me to take the car to just for simple testing of the mod.

Maybe sometime this weekend ill take the resistor out and try turning the cam sensor under the valve cover to see if there are any differences using that method, or if it even works.

On another note, I'll be picking up a VAFC or similar VTEC controller to play around with. There has to be a way to adjust VVT on these motors. Although VTEC and VVT work differently they both engage with the support of similar parts (ie. oil pressure, and a module controlled by the ECU). It may have been tried before, but I'd like to play around with it just for the hell of it.

Input please. 01+ VVT motors need more electronic support!!!!!!

Brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts