ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i just picked up an 03 miat 6spd, this is my second miata i had a 90 4 yrs ago, im looking for engine specs on theis new engine, but i cant find them anywhere, i.e horespower, when does the vvt kick in? how does it work? what mods are best?
any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
The motor is the BP-ZE (sometimes hear as the BP-Z3)

Here's the blerb from Wikipedia: "In 2001, Mazda introduced the BP-Z3 (also called BP-VE) variant of the BP engine with S-VT variable valve timing on the intake side, no more VICS, now replaced with the Variable Tumble Control System (VTCS), a similar torque enhancing set of partial butterflies that increases velocity. This was found in the 2001+ Miata. The Z family is an evolution of this engine.

In Australia, a turbocharged version of this engine produced 201 hp (150 kW) and 206 ft·lbf (280 N·m) in the Mazda MX-5 SP. The United States 2004-2005 Mazdaspeed MX-5 turbo is a BP-4W, not a BP-Z3."

The motor has 10:1 compression, rev limit at 7200 RPMS, and stop puts down near 111 hp to the wheels and about 115 lb/ft. I'd say the mest mod you can get for this motor is the Racing Beat 4-1 header for the 01+. Racing beat did extensive testing on this header and I has given me (with a Monsterflow Intake and Light weight flywheel) almost a 18hp gain. Take a look at my garage for my latest dyno sheet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts