ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard the news that mazda will release on 2014 1.3 turbo mx-5 800kg curb weight...
How fast will this be?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saw it on the carr buzz app for ipad...
The next-generation Mazda MX-5 will go on sale in 2014 boasting a turbocharged 1.3-liter, four-cylinder SkyActic gasoline engine, according to Autocar.

A lighter, reduced-friction transmission is expected as Mazda tries to match the original's mechanical precision and satisfyingly short-throw. A paddle-shift torque-converter automatic is also likely.

Built on a new RWD SkyActiv platform, dubbed the S-platform, Mazda is looking to return the two-seater to its original lithe self.

To this end, lightweight engineering is crucial and according to insiders, Mazda's engineers are looking to cut 275kg from the current curb weight and deliver a car weighing just 800kg. They'll likely use lightweight materials, downsize components and delete some features.

More compact than the current design, the new MX-5 will be narrower in width, which in turn will reduce the frontal area, and the design language may well imitate that seen on the Takeri concept at the Tokyo Motor Show, and the Kodo theme on the Shinari concept from Paris last year.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My uncle works for Mazda and I have an early prototype. I can't give you any specifics because he signed an NDA as well as me. I can tell you it's a really fun/fast Miata! I also have a PS4 as my uncle works for Sony on the side. I'd love to give you details, but I can't.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My uncle works for Mazda and I have an early prototype. I can't give you any specifics because he signed an NDA as well as me. I can tell you it's a really fun/fast Miata! I also have a PS4 as my uncle works for Sony on the side. I'd love to give you details, but I can't.
STFU

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think it will be a rotary engine...many will not buy if its rotary, lots of negative feedback on rotary...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I dont think it will be a rotary engine...many will not buy if its rotary, lots of negative feedback on rotary...
Thats why I said doubt it. When u said 1.3 turbo us mazda guys automatically think of the 13b turbo..thats what I was referring to.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Gah I hope this is wrong. 1.3 is so small. There will be no tuning this thing. Buying exhaust and intakes chasing 2-3hp will suck. I mean, I'm sure it will be fun stock if you weigh <150lbs, have no friends for passengers, and carry nothing with you. Here's to hoping the new motors are built like legos (like Honda).

·
Banned
607 Posts
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1070102_expect-the-next-mazda-mx-5-to-be-turbocharged-report

I hope its true, 1.3L isn't a big deal when the chassis is light, and there's boost. MSM have been known to gain 30-40whp from just an intake and mbc, ms3/6 also had extremely restrictive intake/dp from factory. I doubt you'll be chasing 2-3whp gains on a 1.3 turbo.

Being skyactiv means it'll probably have direct injection, and some insane compression ratio. Would provide some tuning challenges, but in the end I think it'll also create some surprising gains. Long as we've got hpfp upgrades, and good fuel mgmt options asap.

·
Supporting Member
873 Posts
Gah I hope this is wrong. 1.3 is so small. There will be no tuning this thing. Buying exhaust and intakes chasing 2-3hp will suck. I mean, I'm sure it will be fun stock if you weigh <150lbs, have no friends for passengers, and carry nothing with you. Here's to hoping the new motors are built like legos (like Honda).

I think a 1.3 w/ turbo would make an easy 160+ hp with a lighter engine, and therefore lighter everything else.

·
Banned
607 Posts
skyactiv being a rotary replacement? I'm not so sure, high compression + boost + mazda's track record with HPFP... sounds like a recipe for lots of zoom zoom boom when people start modding it. Speed3s were zoom zoom booming all over the place until PERM tuning showed up, and figured out that disi system.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
No go on the rotary.

The n/a skyactiv exhaust manifolds wouldn't clear the engine bay, according to my sources. A turbo 1.3 may be about 150 hp. Considering the weight at about 1800 lbs, that is a power to weight ratio of 12:1.

That is near S2000 territory. With the turbo and DI, it will be making torque sooner, though.

All speculative, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts