ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Has anyone tried swapping a 1.6 engine into a 1.8 car.
Both NA (mk1)

Just planning a future build.
What would you need? 1.6 ecu? Etc

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You gotta be trollin right, unless you're building a cup car.
Keeping your previous thread in mind I'm 99% sure you're trolling.

·
Administrator
15,348 Posts
There's certain classes in which this is advantageous, but like the other thread, if you're at the point that this is a question, you probably shouldn't be at the point that you're asking questions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's certain classes in which this is advantageous, but like the other thread, if you're at the point that this is a question, you probably shouldn't be at the point that you're asking questions.

Not sure I understand what you mean

·
Administrator
15,348 Posts
Just answer the questions i posed so i can help you please.

We as a community don't have the patience for another intellectually bankrupt carnival ride like your last thread.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need more info.

What are you trying to do, how, why, and what are your limitations?

I used to have a 1.6 with a 1.8 Torsen diff, 1.8 brakes, a few other 1.8’bits.

I’d love to replicate that but wandering if putting a 1.6 engine in a 1.8 is cheaper than buying all the 1.8 parts I would want.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
Wow. Lotta haters in here I mean everyone knows the 1.6 revs better.

Just follow the 1.8 swap guide on miataturbo.net but backwards. Hack all the 1.6 sensors onto the 1.8 wiring. Post a build thread on mt.net and I'm sure you'll get a lot of help

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. Lotta haters in here I mean everyone knows the 1.6 revs better.

Just follow the 1.8 swap guide on miataturbo.net but backwards. Hack all the 1.6 sensors onto the 1.8 wiring. Post a build thread on mt.net and I'm sure you'll get a lot of help

Thanks a lot

·
Administrator
15,348 Posts
I used to have a 1.6 with a 1.8 Torsen diff, 1.8 brakes, a few other 1.8’bits.

I’d love to replicate that but wandering if putting a 1.6 engine in a 1.8 is cheaper than buying all the 1.8 parts I would want.

Let's try this again.

1) Why?
2) How?
3) What are your limitations?

And now:

4) Why is it hard to answer questions in order to get relevant help in return?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I take it noone on this forum has tried the swap yet then?

I’ve found 1.8 conversion kits on flyin miata but no 1.6. I’m going to try and use the catalog and the link to shared to try and figure out what I would need.

·
Administrator
15,348 Posts
I take it noone on this forum has tried the swap yet then?

I’ve found 1.8 conversion kits on flyin miata but no 1.6. I’m going to try and use the catalog and the link to shared to try and figure out what I would need.

I know how to do it, but since you didn't answer any of the questions, i don't really know what to tell you to help you along your way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know how to do it, but since you didn't answer any of the questions, i don't really know what to tell you to help you along your way.

As I asked in my original post what do I need. And gave some examples. I was really hoping someone would post a list of everything I would need.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
No one in their right mind would do this "swap".
Unless you've already got a built 1.6 turbo car or something that you've wrecked and now need to reshell into a 1.8 you happen to have there's no good reason to.
If the above is true, you wouldn't be asking this though :p.

·
Administrator
15,348 Posts
As I asked in my original post what do I need. And gave some examples. I was really hoping someone would post a list of everything I would need.

And i asked in my replies what your limitations are and how/why you'd like to do this.

Still don't have an answer, but yet this thread has a bunch of posts.

Weird. This feeling of deja vu is getting intense.

I'll throw you a bone, though. If you're REALLY this clueless about what you're trying to do that you don't know how to answer the questions i've posed.... then you have a lot of reading to do before you attempt to piece together any sort of motor swap. I'm pretty sure you don't know how anything in your engine bay works, currently, and you need to know that before you do this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And i asked in my replies what your limitations are and how/why you'd like to do this.

Still don't have an answer, but yet this thread has a bunch of posts.

Weird. This feeling of deja vu is getting intense.

Ok I’ll have a go at answering some questions.

1. Why? Because I want to. I like the way the car I had before drove and I loved it. As I said in the previous post. It had a torsen diff and 1.8 brakes.

2. How? This is what I’m asking and the reason for the post. What do I need to do it eg (as above) do I need a different ecu? What else do I need?

3. Limitations. What do you mean? Are you asking if I have tools/room to do the job? I’ve done an engine swap before so shouldn’t be too much trouble unless I need to weld lots of stuff.

Is this helpful?
Please Don’t take this the wrong way I feel I’ve been fairly specific. You were on the right track to helping me before. Please carry on.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts