ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
15,602 Posts
I'd swear there's a language barrier here, but it may be on my end.

The "How?" question is "how do YOU want to do this?" What ecu do YOU want to use? What parts do YOU want to use?

Limitations question is "what are YOU capable of doing?" What research are YOU capable of doing (so far, none)? Are you familiar with electrical work? Can you tune a standalone ecu? Can you build a new wiring harness?

I know how i'd do it, but i think there's about a 0.01% chance you're capable of it, judging from this thread. No offense meant, just observation.

All you're asking so far is "How do i engine into car?" and expecting to be spoon fed a comprehensive list, without really giving us anything to help you with. Question is way too vague to bother answering. Ask specific questions, receive useful answers, and not just because it shows you've bothered to do any legwork yourself.

These are life lessons i'm trying to teach. This isn't specific to cars. You're going to have a hard time in life if this is how you conduct yourself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'd swear there's a language barrier here, but it may be on my end.

The "How?" question is "how do YOU want to do this?" What ecu do YOU want to use? What parts do YOU want to use?

Limitations question is "what are YOU capable of doing?" What research are YOU capable of doing (so far, none)? Are you familiar with electrical work? Can you tune a standalone ecu? Can you build a new wiring harness?

I know how i'd do it, but i think there's about a 0.01% chance you're capable of it, judging from this thread. No offense meant, just observation.

All you're asking so far is "How do i engine into car?" and expecting to be spoon fed a comprehensive list, without really giving us anything to help you with. Question is way too vague to bother answering. Ask specific questions, receive useful answers, and not just because it shows you've bothered to do any legwork yourself.

These are life lessons i'm trying to teach. This isn't specific to cars. You're going to have a hard time in life if this is how you conduct yourself.

I understand what you’re saying but I haven’t asked ‘can I use an ecu’ or what ecu shall I use. I asked if I needed an ecu.

Ie if I could fit a 1.6 engine and it would run on a 1.8 ecu (because it’s a 1.8 car) then the answer would be ‘no you don’t need the 1.6 ecu for this conversion’

Don’t forget that the only reason I would do a 1.6 swap into a 1.8 is if it would be cheaper and easier than buying the 1.8 parts for a 1.6. Understand? Otherwise I would buy a 1.6 and all the 1.8 parts I wanted again. Like I did before.

I’ll try and re phrase the question.

Other than the 1.6 engine itself. What other parts (from the 1.6) would I need?

Thanks for the lessons of life. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,602 Posts
Manifolds and midpipe.

You don't need a 1.6 ecu for this conversion. You could convert everything to run on 1.8 electronics (This will also require a throttle body adapter). It'll probably run like crap. You could convert to 1.6 electronics and ecu. This will suck to do very badly. You could use a standalone ecu and make it run right. This will add expense and require knowledge.

If you buy a 1.8, probably smarter to just leave the 1.8 instead of spending a lot of time and money making your car slower and harder to sell in the future.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I really don’t want to have to give my life story every time I post a thread. Just helpful answers and comments.

If you (or me) are struggling because of a language barrier or whatever I’m sure we can push through it.

You started being helpful but then went back to being judgmental.

Please get back to helping me. Maybe one day you’ll post a question and I can help you.

I’d much rather everyone work together and be supportive rather than judging each other

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Manifolds and midpipe.

You don't need a 1.6 ecu for this conversion. You could convert everything to run on 1.8 electronics (This will also require a throttle body adapter). It'll probably run like crap. You could convert to 1.6 electronics and ecu. This will suck to do very badly. You could use a standalone ecu and make it run right. This will add expense and require knowledge.

If you buy a 1.8, probably smarter to just leave the 1.8 instead of spending a lot of time and money making your car slower and harder to sell in the future.

Thank you very much. This was just the advice and answer I was hoping for

·
Administrator
15,602 Posts
If i had known you were looking for "don't do it" from the beginning, i would have told you that in post #2.

But speaking personally, i get really irate when people choose Option C when i only present Option A and B, which is why i was trying to get you to clarify, because i didn't want to give Option C unless it was presented as an option. I guessed.

Anyways, how i was going to do it in my 1999, was with a built 1993 shortblock, UK market NB6 head/intake manifold/Skunk2 throttle body/valve cover. Then run it on a 99-00 PNP MS3Pro utilizing NB ignition triggers and all other sensors so it wouldn't run like garbage and had a good clean ignition signal for sequential fuel and injection without any scatter at high rpm. Top it all off with a 6 speed trans a 4.30 Torsen rear.

I say i was going to do it. And i would have if i didn't sell the car back to my friend.

I still don't suggest anyone do it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If i had known you were looking for "don't do it" from the beginning, i would have told you that in post #2.

But speaking personally, i get really irate when people choose Option C when i only present Option A and B, which is why i was trying to get you to clarify, because i didn't want to give Option C unless it was presented as an option. I guessed.

I find that everything in the realms of which engine or car or whatever is better it’ll always be opinion. I’ll always prefer the 1.6 but I know that’s not everybody’s thing.

All I wanted is to pick peoples brains for knowledge then I can make the judgement calls (good or bad ) on my own.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

I find that everything in the realms of which engine or car or whatever is better it’ll always be opinion. I’ll always prefer the 1.6 but I know that’s not everybody’s thing.

All I wanted is to pick peoples brains for knowledge then I can make the judgement calls (good or bad ) on my own.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Anyways, how i was going to do it in my 1999, was with a built 1993 shortblock, UK market NB6 head/intake manifold/Skunk2 throttle body/valve cover. Then run it on a 99-00 PNP MS3Pro utilizing NB ignition triggers and all other sensors so it wouldn't run like garbage and had a good clean ignition signal for sequential fuel and injection without any scatter at high rpm. Top it all off with a 6 speed trans a 4.30 Torsen rear.

I say i was going to do it. And i would have if i didn't sell the car back to my friend.

I still don't suggest anyone do it.

Sounds great. What are the advantages to using a NB6 head?

I didn’t know Skunk2 made throttle bodies for a 1.6. Good to know

·
Administrator
15,602 Posts
Sounds great. What are the advantages to using a NB6 head?

I didn’t know Skunk2 made throttle bodies for a 1.6. Good to know

No advantages to using an NB6 head. But if i'm swapping to NB6 intake manifold/cams/valve cover, may as well get the head with it.

Skunk2 doesn't make throttle bodies for a 1.6.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No advantages to using an NB6 head. But if i'm swapping to NB6 intake manifold/cams/valve cover, may as well get the head with it.

Skunk2 doesn't make throttle bodies for a 1.6.

Ah ok I miss understood. What was the skunk2 part then?

Why use those NB6 parts and not NA? Personal preference or are there much differences between the two?

·
Administrator
15,602 Posts
Ah ok I miss understood. What was the skunk2 part then?

Why use those NB6 parts and not NA? Personal preference or are there much differences between the two?

I'd use a Skunk2 throttle body on my 1.6.

Head casting is same on NA and NB 1.6 motors. I already outlined why i'd use the NB6 stuff.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts