ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Are there any differences between different 1.6 NA exhaust manifolds?

Ie are all manifolds (OEM, JDM, etc) made of the same metal and do they all have the same bore size?

I plan on grinding/ removing the internal welds to increase flow.

Let me break down the question into three steps so noone gets confused what I’m asking.

1.why? Because in my regulations I’m not aloud to change from the standard manifold but am aloud to remove or smooth over the welds.

2. How? I’m going to buy one but want to buy the strongest and best one so I don’t weaken the manifold too much.

3. Limitations? None. I own a grinder and different tools to do the job.

What I’m asking is are all 1.6 NA manifolds identical or are there any differences.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,101 Posts
All US market 1.6 manifolds are same. But we also only got them from 1990-1993. Not positive about whether or not NB 1.6 manifolds are different.

Here's two nuggets to consider:

1) Do your regulations say "The" factory manifold must remain or "Any" factory manifold may be used? They mean very different things, and one of them would mean what you're trying to do would potentially be illegal. Not telling you what to do, just something to consider.

2) MX5Nutz is going to be a way better place for this question. 1.6s are generally ill-regarded around here, and we only got them for 3 years, vs 12 years of the 1.8.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All US market 1.6 manifolds are same. But we also only got them from 1990-1993. Not positive about whether or not NB 1.6 manifolds are different.

1) Do your regulations say "The" factory manifold must remain or "Any" factory manifold may be used? They mean very different things, and one of them would mean what you're trying to do would potentially be illegal. Not telling you what to do, just something to consider.

2) MX5Nutz is going to be a way better place for this question. 1.6s are generally ill-regarded around here, and we only got them for 3 years, vs 12 years of the 1.8.

This it what it says...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So it’s a ‘standard’ exhaust system. I would guess it can be any year 1.6 NA

·
Administrator
15,101 Posts
Stateside when the word "standard" is used, it means "standard to the car."

Ergo: You cannot swap out what came with the car.

UK might be different.

Sounds like another question for MX5nutz. We will not know, here. This is a US-based site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts