ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am selling my wrx and purchasing a na miata. i've been doing some reading on the the boards here and on miata.net. i'm still debating on getting the older 1.6 or up to 97 1.8, just curious if anyone had any input on either of these models responding better to being supercharged. after riding in a 90 s/c miata at a local event i wanted to sell my car immdiately. turbos are fun but i really like the instant power of the s/c. just looking for some advice on which direction to go with my purchase.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
If you find a good deal on a 1.6, go for it, if you find a good deal on a 1.8 go for that instead.

It's like two sides of the same coin.

·
Registered
420 Posts
But I love my supercharged boat anchor!! I love to merge into traffic on the freeway and not get ran over now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i just bought a 91 1.6 with 38,000 miles on her. so unless i decide to sell it i guess i'll start planning on which route to go with this one for more power. keeping my eyes peeled for a used supercharger kit but probably won't install it until i get some suspension upgrades including wheels and tires and most likely a lsd.

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
you whores.

but for archival reasons, i'll put my input in anyway.

1.6 = turbo only
1.8 = s/c is fun and worth the $$$ but turbo makes bigger power

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
oh irs plenty saft at the stock boost (5.5psi or so). But you HAVE to have some kind of fuel management... a Jackson Racing Powercard is the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm running about 6.5psi on my 04 now. About to bump it up a little more with a crank overlay. The VVT doesn't like upgraded boost without an intercooler I can say that. But with my TDR FMIC (FTW! :D)I don't have any detonation problems anymore.

·
Supporting Member
12,271 Posts
1.8L for so many reasons including better aftermarket support, greater power out of the box, greater power potential, diff that won't break right away, newer car, etc.. The only reason to boost a 1.6L is if you already own it and have sentimental attachment or if trading up to a 1.8L would have dire financial consequences.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Just like everyone else said, Turbos's are gonna make more power. I was gonna supercharge my 1.6 but after talkin to some people i realized that making 200rwhp with a sc in a 1.6 will take ALOT of work and cost alot of money. I didnt wanna turbo cause like you said turbo lag, but now that I have there is almost no lag, my Begi kit with a t25/T28 cartridge starts boosting at 2500rpm's. With a stand alone, good tuning I can easily get it well over 200rwhp and not break the bank. As far as getting a 1.8 well if I ever break my engine then I will swap in the 1.8.

Moral of the story is dollar per horse power turbo's win all the way, plus there are sooooo many second hand turbo parts out there for the Miata

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts

·
woah
6,858 Posts
oh irs plenty saft at the stock boost (5.5psi or so). But you HAVE to have some kind of fuel management... a Jackson Racing Powercard is the easiest way to go.
do the JRSC come with the power card??
What's this? Emmi getting boost happy? ;)
yeup, i feel that i have learned alot from driving an 'underpowered' car and i think i need a HP bump... but dont really fancy 5 horses for 400 dollars either.. :D :D :D =D>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.