ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm new, I've been lurking around the forum for a few weeks now and decided i want to ask a question. I don't yet have a miata but plan on getting one in the next few weeks. I'm stuck between the the 90-93 ones and the 94-97. I plan on putting a JR super on whatever I get and would like to end up with like 180hp in the end. I'd like to get a 90-93 because they're cheaper but would I be able to get to 180hp fairly cheap? What I guess I'm trying to say is what car would be cheapest to get 180 out of including the price of the car? Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jimmy

·
Registered
343 Posts
Greddy turbo on the 1.6 with intercooler, bipes timing controller and maybe even a downpipe for less then $2,000 will get you where you want to go, and is upgradeable later if you get the itch :) JR charger will be nice, but is more expensive, and is less upgradeable later. Plus, a turbo sounds better ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about the greddy kit but but how does it compare with the JRSC with power delivery? I would like the cool sound of the turbo but I've also heard lots of bad things about that kit. Like the exhaust manifold cracking. What would I have to have to boost set at to get 180? Will I have to get bigger injectors or another computer system? cause I dont really want to do that

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
1.8s also have bigger brakes, passenger airbags, etc. It's a trade off, personally I could have gone either way when I bought my Miata.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You talkin about 180 at the wheels or flywheel? Even 180hp at the crank feels pretty damn good in a light miata, and the power comes on around 4K.

I had mine set to 6-8psi, and it was pretty fun to drive. As for the cracking manifold, if you make the relief cuts prior to install and you torque the bolts correctly, You shouldn't have a problem.

Honestly, its a trade off. But, if your looking for 180 at the wheels, Im not sure the jackson charger will get you there without spending a bunch more money. The greddy kit will get you there much cheaper. Or, look into an FM kit if you have the money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts