ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. if i buy a fuji kit for my 1.6 and blow it up or find a 1.8 can the kit easily be changed to fit the new 1.8 motor.
2. is it better to run the 1.6 or 1.8 motor on itbs (displacement aside) which responds better to itb.
3. the original motor has 200k on it. is it worth a slightly better than stock rebuild or hunt to a unknown history 1.8 (i live in md and miata's in junk yards are hard to find or they have high miles)
4. the reason for itbs is autoX and drift not drag (except to spook people)

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
1) you would need to get a new manifold to run the itbs.
2) either should be comprable.
3) rebuilding the motor will be better, but probably more expensive

·
Registered
563 Posts
double posted. Sorry.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Marty said:
What AutoX class do ITB's put you in?
I believe an STS class but I am probably drastically wrong.

silverslider said:
1. if i buy a fuji kit for my 1.6 and blow it up or find a 1.8 can the kit easily be changed to fit the new 1.8 motor.
2. is it better to run the 1.6 or 1.8 motor on itbs (displacement aside) which responds better to itb.
3. the original motor has 200k on it. is it worth a slightly better than stock rebuild or hunt to a unknown history 1.8 (i live in md and miata's in junk yards are hard to find or they have high miles)
4. the reason for itbs is autoX and drift not drag (except to spook people)
1. The main differences in the 1.6 vs. 1.8 are the piston diameter and spacing. The 1.8 has a larger piston therefore requiring more room, thus makin the block longer and the intake/exhaust ports more space out. So turbored is right you will need a new manifold.

2. The 1.8 traditionally has more low end torque but (personally I would think it might make a slightly better starting point). However, turbored is more than likely right. Both will benefit greatly from itbs.

3. Dig around, see it you can find a realitively low mile 1.8 to do a swap with. I had a friend find one w/accesories, tranny, and 80k on the clock for $550. For the time and the effort of pulling and rebuilding I would just assume do a swap. It wouldnt cost that much more than a full rebuild.

4. Wouldnt you want something that delivered a little more power for drift, like a turbo? Don't get me wrong IRTBs are on my "to do" list and sound like a lot of fun but I didn't think the added that much power (correction?).

That's the long version.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Marty said:
What AutoX class do ITB's put you in?
I believe an STS class but I am probably drastically wrong.
I was thinking SM2 but I could be wrong too. If it is SM2 then you will get your ass handed to you if you run ITB's

4. Wouldnt you want something that delivered a little more power for drift, like a turbo? Don't get me wrong IRTBs are on my "to do" list and sound like a lot of fun but I didn't think the added that much power (correction?).
Exactly, ITB's would be pretty useless for drift too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts