ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
with the GReddy you need to use the HKS 1.8 manifold, custom fab a downpipe and custom fab intake/charge pipe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So hks mani, custom down&charge pipe and im set? I can just use the greddy electronics provided?
It is my understanding that you can't use the greddy provided electronics on a 1.8. There are two versions of the greddy kit...one with an afpr and one with a "black box" kind of setup. Most of the kits I've seen have the Vortech afpr, which you could use.

Instead of using a greddy base, why don't you consider a diy setup? I'm bias, as I have a begi 1.6 kit, but you could pick up a manifold and downpipe from them, and piece the rest of your setup. It initially will cost you a little more, but you will be much happier in the long run (begi parts are not likely to give out on you, top quality components). Check out www.miataturbo.net for additional help. I think there is someone selling a begi manifold that may fit your budget. (no affiliation) Then you would only need to purchase the dp from begi.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So hks mani, custom down&charge pipe and im set? I can just use the greddy electronics provided?
It is my understanding that you can't use the greddy provided electronics on a 1.8. There are two versions of the greddy kit...one with an afpr and one with a "black box" kind of setup. Most of the kits I've seen have the Vortech afpr, which you could use.
So if it comes with the afpr then I only have to get the new mani down/charge pipe? But no me gusta on the black box.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Most people eventually upgrade everything on the Greddy kit anyways. I don't understand why you would want to start with the Greddy kit on a 1.8L car. Unless someone gives you the Greddy kit for free there really isn't any point. What you need to start thinking about is 100% DIY (buying off the shelf components or fabricating what you need to make your own kit) or purchase something already in kit form designed for the 1.8L like HKS, FM, BEGI, etc. Check out www.miataturbo.net and read, read, read.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would just go the diy route. I have the greddy now and really wish that I would have just started off with the knowledge that I have now and would have went with a t3 super 60 turbo, and used the begi mani and dp. That would have made the whole thing a lot easier because you pretty much have to make a lot of the stuff for it yourself.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
+1 for skipping the greddy kit adapting process, your basically making a diy kit at that point. so just do it right.

decide on a turbo, pick and compatible manifold and dp, then sort out the intake/IC pipe and your fuel/timing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts