ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so just exactly how much can a 1.6 hold down compared to a 1.8......

(talking about max HP and TQ numbers) and yes i mean on a factory bottom end......no aftermarket internals at all......

flyin miata has the FM2 kit rated at like i believe 250hp @ 12psi on a stock motor??? i heard the 1.8 cant hold more then 225 on the block if its stock......or did i hear wrong?? how much can these motors REALLY hold?

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so both 1.6 and 1.8 are equally strong or is 1 a little more hefty then the other is what im gettin at basically.....

cuz i was always told not to run more then like 8psi on a stock bottom end but i mean if FM has 12psi on stock internals as their base kit its gotta be a pretty reliable bottom end

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
PSI is just a number. It comes down to the turbo and tuning used.

·
Registered
97 Posts
so both 1.6 and 1.8 are equally strong or is 1 a little more hefty then the other is what im gettin at basically.....

cuz i was always told not to run more then like 8psi on a stock bottom end but i mean if FM has 12psi on stock internals as their base kit its gotta be a pretty reliable bottom end
FM's base kit is NOT 12psi. Their base kit is 6-7psi on stock injectors. The 12psi you're talking about calls for 550cc injectors and a standalone unit.

If you want to boost higher then 6psi, you need larger injectors and a standalone to control them so that your motor gets enough fuel to prevent detonation.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just a number yes, but it cant just be said as "just a number" if that the case you could add infinite psi to a stock engine and not have problems. that is if it were "just a number".

im just trying to get a rough idea of how much hp and tq a 1.6 can hold vs. a 1.8

the reason i ask is because if i wanted to do a turbo project i can get a 1.6 from a friend for dirt cheap and it runs fine. but should i get the 1.6 and build on it or just use my 1.8? thats the basic reason for the topic

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
It's just a number because 15psi on a T25 is not the same as 15psi on a T3/T4 monstrosity. It's all bout the efficiency range of your particular turbo you are using.

Hell, 15psi on a GT28R isn't even the same as 15psi on a GT28RS.

Another example would be on fully built Evo turning it's stock turbo to 30psi and blowing the **** out of his engine while a guy with the same engine can run 2bar with some T4 Godzilla snail. The T2whatever that runs on a stock Evo will be so far out of it's efficiency range that it'll be blowing a lot of hot low pressure air and will just be a destination machine, but a larger turbo built to run at such a high pressure output will product cooler, more dense air.

Go buy Maximum Boost by Corky Bell then come back and ask questions.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
The weak links are (in order of most likely to break):
1. 1.6L diff
2. transmission
2. (tie) pistons
4. conrods

This assumes good tune, stock rev limiter, everything else in proper working order, etc.. Both 1.6 and 1.8 motors are relatively strong and many have been run up towards 300rwhp on stock internals. Good fuel and timing control via fully programmable stand alone ECU are mandatory to achieve those numbers. Obviously the 1.8 has more potential for hp given larger displacement but there are a few 400+ hp 1.6 cars in existence.

At this point it's better to talk about what your budget and goals are. Drive a 200hp turbo Miata, decide what you really want out of this build, do more research, and ask questions where necessary (e.g. not already answered on www.miata.net or www.miataturbo.net)

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
I could've sworn I heard that the stock 1.8 trannies (not sure if the same transmission is used for the 1.6 and 1.8 ) could handle much higher than 250hp. Somewhere around 400hp I think?

Not sure if that's true...that's quite a claim. If it is, Mitsubishi needs to take some pointers from Miata transmissions, haha! :wink:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The 6speed from the 99+ cars can handle up to around 450whp before it starts to break. the 1.8 and 1.6 5speeds are the same and both good to a bit over 250.

Of course a tranny will live a longer happier life if you don't abuse it.

EDIT:

As to which engine is more durable, I'd say they are the same. That said, the 1.8 will make more power per PSI of boost because of displacement and increased port size.

·
Registered
104 Posts
im guessing you have a 1.8 liter.why would you want a smaller 1.6.

the 1.8 will make a little more hp and ive noticed around 10lbs of torque compared to a 1.6 with a similar setup.both of the motors are good to 250hp,its what you need to do to get them there.

also the 5 speed miata trans will start going at around 250hp.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i do have a 1.8 but ive heard the 1.6 is easier to do a turbo build on. thanx for the info guys i appreciate it a lot!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts