ClubRoadster.net banner

1.6l Idle Issues

511 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  deprogram 
#1 ·
Just bought my second Miata after selling my 94 years ago. All stock, 77k miles. Timing and water pump done before I bought it. I think the prior owner (widow in retirement community) let it sit for a while (tires are 2014 with almost no wear at all).

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

It has a bit of idle droop, only when cold. Idles normal at 900 but when I hit it to 2.1k it hesitates, shakes like hell and drops about 200-300rpm before accelerating. At operating temps I can't replicate this ever. If I do it right at start up rpms drop as low as 500 and it even died once.

I cleaned throttle body, MAF, and checked for vacuum leaks. Changed wires and plugs. No fix. Any ideas???

I'm thinking of doing the fuel filter, double checking timing, and maybe the thermistor as a last resort. Would a faulty thermistor throw a CEL?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
In case one of the 90 people who have viewed this post were wondering: It was the thermistor! $31 and 30 minutes later all the idle droop and hesitation when cold is gone. No more CODE 9 either.

Reactions: deprogram
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.