ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Great news!

Until now, if you wanted to go to the track with NASA you needed to install a rollbar that was spec'd out to hold a concrete truck.
This of course resulted in a weight penalty.
Another downside of this requirement was that if you ever wanted to upgrade it to a full cage you'd have to remove it and start from scratch because of the completely different specs that rollbars and cages are built to.

Not anymore.
Blackbird Fabworx had devised custom specifications light weight half cage that comply with NASA's requirement and be fully legal for HPDE and time trials!

If you're thinking of converting your car to a full track car but still driving it on the street this is the best option.
Driving with a fully caged miata on the street is not recommended because of the proximity between your head to the forward braces which can have disasterous results in an accident with no helmet on (even with padding).

Here's what you're getting -

* NASA approved for HPDE/TT 10 point half cage that is easily upgradeable to a full cage, welded-in
* Super stiff chassis that no 4 point rollbar can be compared with
* Hardtop compatible, can be built to accomodate a plastic and even glass window soft top as well!
* Minimum weight penalty - approximate weight of only 60 lbs. finished (compare with nearly 50 lbs for a heavy spec 4 point rollbar)
* Fits most miata-sized racing seats - it is recommended to have the seats at hand to confirm fitment.

How much does it cost?

Roughly $2000 for what you're seeing in the pics minus the paint job.
Compare other routes -

* Buying a 4 pt. rollbar and door bars from any manufacturer, by the shipping costs and / or installation costs are all paid, you're well north of $1000 with a heavier product that can not be upgraded to a full cage.

* Getting a full 10 point cage done in a proper shop (no exhaust pipes on a harbor freight kinker), costing $3K and up and you have a car that is unsafe for street use.

So, being a good middle ground the price is roughly in the middle too.

Moti

·
Banned
570 Posts
damn i cant wait. just make sure you build something no one has ever seen before haha

·
Registered
221 Posts
* Minimum weight penalty - approximate weight of only 60 lbs. finished (compare with nearly 50 lbs for a heavy spec 4 point rollbar)

He didn't say that 4 points weren't usable, but that for the same weight, you can have something more functional and safe.

Not saying I agree with anything, just restating.

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wait, nasa allows TT and HPDE to run a 4 point bar like Hard dog hard core.. i'm confused here... nice bar though.
Yes they do, but if you're thinking about converting your car into a full track car you'll be throwing money down the drain if you buy one of those.

NASA legal rollbars are built with 1.75x0.120 tubing and 3/16" mounting and backing plates, making them very heavy, and since they don't go the floor the ability to convert them to a full cage at some point is questionable.
Not that you'd want to build your cage with 15 lbs weight penalty sitting right at the top of the car to start with.

So to sum it up, if you ever wanted to upgrade your setup beyond a 4 point rollbar you'll have to start from zero and sell it at a loss.
This will especially hurt your pocket if you paid someone else for installation.

Instead, the Blackbird Fabworx half cage is built with conversion into a full cage in mind, meaning the day you want to upgrade to a full cage, everything is simply ready to go.
No removing, no cutting, no losing money, no weight penalty.

Yes it costs more but it is a great jumping point to a full cage and allows one to spread the expense of building a full cage in a way that was not available before.

Of course, no need to mention that to start with the 10 pointer is FAR superior to any 4 point bolt on rollbar...

Twibs,
Sorry I don't have any shots from the back, but the legs go pretty much right next to the shock mount.

Moti

·
Banned
607 Posts
Can you show where the rear legs mount to? Judging from where it goes into the package tray, I'd say its right on top of the rear top hats.

·
Banned
607 Posts
So around where the HDHC mounts to in the rear? The legs look so much further back in the HDHC, must be because there's no soft top?

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So around where the HDHC mounts to in the rear? The legs look so much further back in the HDHC, must be because there's no soft top?
No, the rollbar you mention does not bolt nearly as far back simply because it isn't possible, you have to bolt it where you can put a backing plate.

The mounting plates of rear legs on my half cage are welded to the frame rails right next to the shock mounts.
Way stronger and ties stuff much better.

Moti

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Beautiful. If I got serious about time trial I'd drive my car across the US so I could hire you to help build it up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts