ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some previous track cars that I beat on over the years. Always made stupid choices on what cars to build and ended up with cars with parts costs through the roof or **** reliability. Past track rats were; Alfa Romeo Milano Verde, Subaru SVX, Gen 1 Talon TSI and an r53 Mini.

Those cars taught me a lot about how it's the hidden expenses that make a track car cheap/expensive. So enter the 10ae I bought about 7 months ago (has it been that long?).

Plan is to turn this thing into a revolving door of upgrades and keep it on the track having fun. I made the mistake of constantly upgrading the last few cars without focusing on just driving time. I have learned my lesson and this car is going to change that.

Vitals:
-3rd Owner 10ae with 100,500 on the clock when I got it.
-Hard dog Duece pre-installed by PO
-Volt Exhaust

Other than that bone stock and clean slate to work with. Here's a few shots of the day I picked it up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: #1127 - Track Rat in the Making

I've done quite a bit of work over the last 7 months and I'll catch this thread up tonight. I've got a few big changes planned for the next 3 months so I figure it's finally time to get this thread started.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I started off with maintenance items right away. Got a few big ticket items done and out of the way. Timing Belt, water pump, idlers, trans fluid, diff fluid All got swapped within the first 300 miles of ownership.

The headlights and tail lights on this car were driving me a little nuts. IMO they really made the car look dated.

I went ahead and Joey modded the front light housings with Graphite spray paint and applied some red vinyl to the back to get rid of the orange turn indicators.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was painfully obvious to me immediately that:
1) my 6-2" 200lb ass barely fits in this stupid little car
2) this hard dog duece wasn't going to cut it for real track duty

So this lead me to start my first DIY project. Custom NA style door cards with custom door pulls. This will give me both extra hip/shoulder room and also prepare the interior for an eventual http://blackbirdfabworx.com/ roll bar install. While I was in there I also cleaned and re-lubricated the window tracts and installed a vent window.

Main goals of this mod were to:
1- Clean near factory style look (I wanted people to have to know miata's to know it wasn't factory)
2- Moar Room!
3- Drop some weight and get rid of door speakers
4- Nice red Nylon webbing door pulls ala porsche boxter spyder

I posted a how-to on this in the "how-to" section if you're interested in completing this mod for yourself. http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=48999

Results:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 6speed was excessively notchy and it was tough finding the right gear at times. So I figured time for a shifter rebuild. Bought the usual parts, boot, bushings etc and some jewelers Rouge and Got to work.

Le rip

Nice

Ughhhh gross

Beer in hand... ready to rock.

Before Polishing - Cleaning

After

Finished and Assembled

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The next goal was to right into roll bar replacement. However, my obsessive scouring of craigslist would cause a slight change in that plan. I found a set of RPF-1's with falken 912's locally for a price that was far too cheap to pass up. Tires were less than optimum but were better than the worn out 190-50-15 worn our Michelin all seasons that were on my car. Also... those polished AL 10ae wheels had to go ASAP.

A quick trip to El Monte and 6 bills later and I was omw home with the new setup. (sorry about the shitty cell phone picks... Between the 4x4 ride height and work schedule... proper pix haven't been a priority)

In the back of the parts hauler

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think we can all agree stock brakes suck. The particular brakes on my car had the most disgusting brake fluid I've ever seen in a functional (somewhat) braking system. A total system revamp was in order.

Called up 949racing and will called my self a basic brake kit.
-OEM 1.8 rotors
-Carbotech XP8 pads
-SS lines
-Motul RBF600 Fluid
-949 Forged Lugs

Bloody hell do these pads dust up... Post Pad Bedding

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looks good! Very Clean look. Where did you get the red vinyl tape for the lights? What front light bulbs did you use for the turn sigs?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a well known fact that the 99-00 headers blow... or rather don't blow. The Cali spec ones are even worse. Again my obsessive used part sluething derailed my roll bar saving plans. Found an 01 header with EGR tube and heat shield for 150 shipped and jumped on it.

half way through the install.

TBH it's more noticeable than I thought it would be. Car is much more willing to rev and the sound of the 01 header with the volt exhaust is quite pleasing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments guys... Always fun to get some positive opinions.

With some of the other items that were bothering me complete it's time to turn my attention to the interior.

My awesome wife hooked it up for christmas and got me a Momo 350mm Competition wheel and Works Bell Hub.

Balla

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cobra Suzuka Pro and Brey-Krause side mount bracket.

Next up is seat mounting and then roll bar fabrication. Car should be track ready after that. Granted slow, on busted suspension with shitty tires... but safe!

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Nice, this is headed the right direction. Good luck in your quest for building a track machine. Blackbird rollbar will be an excellent addition. Be sure to consult Moti for proper 5/6pt harness setup as well if you are not familiar.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the comments guys. Awesome to get some encouraging posts from people who's cars are my inspiration.

Anyway I think I have a craigslist searching addiction. Craig's notification for android certainly doesn't help that's for sure. Anyway I scoped a really vague cragislist post the other day for a "cobra seat and 5 point harness" for 250 bucks. I sent the guy a few emails back and forth trying to get pictures. I ended up getting some shitty cell phone pictures and saw what looked like a cobra suzuka and a schroth profi6-III. I figured what I saw was good enough reason to make the drive from Irvine to Victorville (yuck).

Any way I meet the guy at a gas station and he drives up and pulls back some protective plastic on a very new looking suzuka S, schroth profi 6-III, Cobra Side mounts and a beefy 350z bracket.

200 dollars later and I was on my way home. So now I've got matching seats to put into the car... yay!

On a related note... any one know where I can offload a 350z bracket?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts