ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I was really looking into this swap, and it's just not worth it. You'll get more power out of a BP swap (if you don't already have one) with a lot less money and hassle.

That being said, there's a guy in central Florida with a 13b swap in his NB and it took him a solid year of week-end tinkering.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
So you want to do a 12a swap, not a 13b swap right?

I used to own a 1st gen RX-7 and I can say with full honesty the 12a can kiss my ass.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I say do it.. if you like messin with cars (which most of us should) then you should't mind some tinkering. Just make sure its not your daily driver. If your planning on having it any time soon and having it reliable on a daily basis, forget about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm looking into doing a s5 swap also. You'll get the usual "use a search under rotary" on miata.net. If you can do the work yourself it's fairly cost effective. Use a TII transmission and diff. if you plan to go high hp.
Use a s3 oil pan backwards and a s3 front cover. The big concern is getting the transmission level with the diff. You may have to notch the front k frame also but it will fit and line up without any firewall or tunnel cutting.
Turbo requires more work to fit in all the turbo goodies.
But an NA with a bridgeport, carb and headers will get close to 300hp and weigh about 60lbs. less than bp.

·
Registered
971 Posts
That being said, there's a guy in central Florida with a 13b swap in his NB and it took him a solid year of week-end tinkering.
Not really correct, if it's the car I'm thinking of....

This NB from FL was used by a company (Rotary Miata - web site is dead) as the development mule for a 13b swap kit. I don't know if the kit was ever sold.
The car was under construction for about a year, but not really weekend tinkering.
It had evidently been finished right befor MATG in '04. The owner had put on a big fart-can muffler and it sounded amazing!!

I'd love to get a trashed 90 or 91, flare it and put in a 13b turbo. That would be fun!

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Not really correct, if it's the car I'm thinking of....

This NB from FL was used by a company (Rotary Miata - web site is dead) as the development mule for a 13b swap kit. I don't know if the kit was ever sold.
The car was under construction for about a year, but not really weekend tinkering.
It had evidently been finished right befor MATG in '04. The owner had put on a big fart-can muffler and it sounded amazing!!

I'd love to get a trashed 90 or 91, flare it and put in a 13b turbo. That would be fun!
The guy I know has a FMIC on his 13b. I fell out of touch with him though. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys, ive got a 12A Turbo 89' roadster,
it has a s5 turbo,custom water to air intercooler etc,etc,
il post some pics when i get home 2moro!
8)

1 - 20 of 115 Posts