ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 878 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1990 miata build- The final stage

Hello everyone, I picked up a miata in the summer and have been lurking here ever since, but I finally decided to start a thread to share my progress. I picked up Choo Choo Charlie's old miata (thanks again!) and have since started to go to town on it. It is, well...was, a stock 1990 miata in need of a serious makeover. And so it began! I forgot to take pictures of it until after I started ripping into it, but I'm sure you all can picture what a stock miata complete with steelies, dents, rust, and in need of paint.

These are the first pics I took; I was pretty deep into the disassembly before I realized I hadn't taken any yet!

Lovely paint isn't it!

Next the motor came out....

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 1990 miata build

Next up, gut the interior:

Yep, nothing out of the ordinary just yet...

Oh wait, what do we have here?

A little AWR action. The full fenders fit pretty well, the pass side went on without a hitch, but the driver's side needed a fair bit of coaxing. For the rears, I pulled the fenders way out and beat on them until they were up and out of the way to form the inner fender for the rear flares:

I haven?t installed the rear flares yet, as I have some rust in the rocker panels right behind the doors (go figure) which still needs to be fixed, so let's go back to the front of the car and work on the front bumper extensions. Here is the original bumper extension:

Now the original parts not only cover up the turn signals, but they also force you to make them shorter somehow, which I wasn't a fan of at all. I started to massage them with the dremel tool, and after about 10 trial fits, I realized 1. It was taking way too long, 2. I still had to cut down the actual light or find a replacement, and 3. I was starting to get annoyed. Now my current vehicle is a jeep, and when things don't fit there are only 2 tools you need, being a hammer and a saw. Now a hammer won't do much good here, but the saw sure will. So, after some careful thought and head scratching, I decided to just not deal with it at all and trim off enough material so the lights wouldn't be covered by the flare. The front bumper, being made of urethane, is very flexible, so I came up with a new game plan. Here's a pic of how much the bumper as it normally sits with the AWR flares:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I pulled the bumper out to follow the line of the fender, and then attached it to the fender using a few bolts. Lastly, the flare was riveted to the bumper:

I'm more than pleased with the final result.

Now it was time for to bring the body back to life. I had been picking and poking at it throughout the months, but I spent some quality time with my 2 good buddies and we went over the whole car. I'll let the pics to the explaining, as even I don't want to have to read this...

We patched the rear quarter rust spot with some fiberglass filler to seal it. I didn't see the need to take it to get it welded as the flares are going to cover it completely. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Now for those of you with good eyes, you're probably noticing the roll bar in the previous pics. The only thing is, it's not a roll bar....it's a whole cage!

What a bear to install by yourself! I got it in though. It is a hard dog full cage with an extra support bar welded across the rear deck, and has provisions for a window net on the driver's side. (Thanks so much Owen for all your trouble getting this to me). The cage had a plate welded to it over the seat belt towers with 2 holes. I bored both holes out and bolted the plate down with the original seat belt bolt, and got some grade 8 bolts and bolted the upper seat belt mounts to the plate. Again, it came out fantastic.

Back to body work! After a lot of sanding and massaging, it was time for primer. I primed the whole car using some duplicolor primer. First stage of body work completed! Hooray!

I also cut out a spot in the fenders for a set of jdm side winkers.

Well that's where the car sits right now, and that is all the pics I have of it at the moment. I have been collecting parts since June and have an entire garage/basement/bedroom full just waiting to be installed. Rather than list it all, I will post up pics as I install things, as I'm just like everyone else, and would rather see it than read it. Anyways, I love the site and hope you all like my build so far. There is PLENTY more to keep everyone entertained. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

WOW!! =D> Awesome work bro, I cant wait to see it finished. I will be watching.

*Subscribed*

Oh, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grind the rivets and fill that bitch smooth!!!
No way, I'm all about the rivets. Besides bonding fiberglass to urethane usually leads to cracking down the road, which I do not want to deal with. I hate body work.

·
Kicked off the island..
3,062 Posts
Thankyou for posting it all over here, I know it took time, but doesn't it look better here than .net? And we like you better! Awesome car! I wish I was good at body work, it pisses me off real bad because I can never get it straight. Oh well, welcome to the site!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankyou for posting it all over here, I know it took time, but doesn't it look better here than .net? And we like you better! Awesome car! I wish I was good at body work, it pisses me off real bad because I can never get it straight. Oh well, welcome to the site!!

haha yah it def looks better here. Body work isn't that bad, just take a looooooooooooong time

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, I'm not to patient either, I can barely wait for paint to dry.

hahaha oh I certainly am not either, but there are enough other things to keep me occupied. Plus I still have to go back and fill all the low spots, and then I get to wet sand the entire car (thank goodness there isn't a roof) like 3 or 4 times, so it really doesn't matter how the paint comes out anyways, it's only there to stop the rust from coming back. I hate body work, but it's easy enough not to warrent paying big money for someone else to do it for me.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Got a little work done tonight, not as much as I had hoped for, but what are you going to do. Here's the old motor sitting on the floor of my garage, just waiting to donate anything it can to the new motor.

And what we've all been waiting for. The new motor!

Now isn't that pretty....

The port work is unreal

Just a few quick shots I snapped tonight. Here are the specs on it:

short block:

bored 40 over with weisco oversized turbo pistons (8.6:1)
pouter rods
ARP main and head studs
All new bearings and gaskets
pistons matched to 0.001 to the cylinder walls
balanced and blueprinted
lightened and balanced crank
mazdaspeed high flow oil pump
ford racing water pump
copper 3 layer head gasket

head
fully ported and polished
checked for flatness
0.5mm oversize intake and exhaust rev valves
stiffer volvo valve springs
ew retainers
new HLAs
stock cams/cam gears
port-matched intake manifold

I still have to install the HLAs and the cams, but I won't be doing that until the motor is ready to go in the car, as it's not good to let it sit without being run with the stiffer valve springs. The block, head, and valve cover were painted with a few coats of high temp engine paint, primed, and then painted red. I cannot wait to start getting this car together. These next few months it's really going to start coming together.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice, Im really gonna love this car. What type of turbo setup you gonna run on this?
I honestly haven't made up my mind on the turbo setup yet. This motor is capable of whatever I can give it, but the transmission however is not. Still debating this dilemma as well.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
Oh I dont blame ya, Im gonna play around with engine management before I boost my car. Prolly upgrade rear end and radiator also first.

1 - 20 of 878 Posts