ClubRoadster.net banner

161 - 180 of 878 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I'm guessing I missed a detail...why did you have to have the rotors machined and why are they two-piece?
It's in there....TII swap.

Just a heads up...
I'd change the PCV setup on that car. Under boost you'll either get 0 pcv action from the VC to IM unit... or it will leak and you'll pressurize the engine. Neither is good.
Can you elaborate a little more for me?

·
Mufasa in Training
31,827 Posts
I have 2 questions.

1. Why do your brake pads only cover half the rotors?
If he's got the rotors from a Turbo II, chances are he's using the Miata brake calipers and pads, which probably aren't as big.

That said, I still don't understand why the faces of the rotor hubs are machined...I didn't even know the Turbo II had two-piece rotors!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I have 2 questions.

1. Why do your brake pads only cover half the rotors?
If he's got the rotors from a Turbo II, chances are he's using the Miata brake calipers and pads, which probably aren't as big.

That said, I still don't understand why the faces of the rotor hubs are machined...I didn't even know the Turbo II had two-piece rotors!
They are 11" 2 piece rotors from flyin miata (their older, non vented style). Stock rear 1.6l calipers. The center bore had to be enlarged in the miata rotor to match the diameter of the rx7 hub I had machined to fit into a miata spindle. The rx7 hub could not be turned down enough to fit inside the miata rotor because there just wasn't enough metal. The fact that this is a 2 piece rotor just means i can reuse the center rotor portion (plus for me), AND it's a heck of a lot lighter than a solid rotor. The pads only cover 1/2 the rotor due to them being 1.6l brakes. By moving the caliper outward, the clamping force of the caliper still increases, so they will work better. Yes, they would work even better if I had larger rear calipers, but I think this will still work out fine for me.

I didn't drill and tap for the hard lines as of yet because I had the current fittings already. I'm planning on doing that, just not at the moment. That's something that can be done during the winter when I have nothing better to do.

here's a link to fm's bbk to compare:
http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4539&parentid=0&stocknumber=14-16205++1990-93

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Mighty mouse, are those 1.6L pads? If they are you can use 1.8L pads. The calipers are the same.
Yes they are, and no I can't. The calipers are not the same. Flyin Miata actually sent me 1.8 pads by accident and they definitely do NOT fit.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Phil should have said "the cailpers are the same, but the brackets are different". If you got 1.8 brackets, those 1.8 pads would fit.
heh, wish I knew that sooner. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #170

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Phil should have said "the cailpers are the same, but the brackets are different". If you got 1.8 brackets, those 1.8 pads would fit.
Yeah. I would deffinately put that on the list. 1.8L pads are like twice the size of 1.6L pads.
next time I need pads I'll prob move up to 1.8 stuff. I don't want to harass flyin miata again and ask for an exchange

Thanks for all the compliments

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
not yet... i'm taking a break over winter to work on my jeep. Miata is outside in the carport and its too damn cold. I bought an aem ems and got ripped off for a grand so i still have that sour taste in my mouth- details over on miataturbo.net

side note, anyone with information about michael slanovec please pm me.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #179

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Nothing new to report on the car just yet, but I thought I'd give an update anyways. I got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my right hand on New Year's Eve from a big firework exploding accidentially in my hand (long story, no I didn't light it, and no I don't feel like typing it all out :)) so I can't do the things I would like to be able to. Ive been taking it easy for a while to let it heal, but I just went last night and picked up the bumpers and fenders and a couple other misc. pieces that I'm going to prep and paint. I'm going nuts from not doing anything productive anymore. I figure I should be able to do this with only 1 hand (i'm left handed so at least I have that going for me). I am planning on starting tongiht after work, so hopefully I will have more to report.

161 - 180 of 878 Posts