ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new-to-me 1990 Miata. When I bought it the PO had the OEM speaker grills removed. He still had them so I put them on.

Then, I turned on the stereo and thought the aftermarket door speakers were blown. They just buzzed and rattled.

It turns out the speakers are fine. Take the OEM speaker grills off and they sound good. The speakers are actually touching the grills and distorting. I don't think adding foam will help because the grill will still be restricting the speakers movement and aftermarket grills are not an option I wish to entertain.

Has anyone come up with a solution?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found some information on the pointy board so I thought I'd share it here.

The inside of the OEM grills have a plastic cage like structure. If those are there and are causing the touching, you can clip them off. They don't hold the grill on or anything.
Most aftermarket speakers have surrounds that are "above" the face of the speaker, unlike OEM where the surround is typically "beneath".(See pics)

In all of the NAs I've owned, I have had good success with all or a combination of the following depending on the speaker.
  • Trim/grind the back of the grill until it's flat like mentioned above.
  • Add layers of foam or small cubes of MDF wood around the speaker to create a "lip" that the will press against and "push" the grill away from the speaker.
  • Reverse the polarity of the speakers so that they move inwards towards the door vs out towards the cabin.(Basically flip the (+) and (-) on the speakers)

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
Ah the memories. It takes me back when I think about working on the audio in my car. I've been audio-less for a few years now. I think I had Alpine S Type speakers in the doors. I think I shaved the plastic supports of the speaker cover to allow proper fitment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts