1991 MIATA MX-5

CAR HAS:
1.6 ENGINE
20G TURBO
ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR
FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER
FULL EXHAUST MAGNA FLOW
GODSPEED DOWN PIPE
CUSTOM FITTING TURBO FEED, RETURN, AND COOLING LINES.
STOCK ECU

CAR DOES NOT HAVE:
TURBO TIMER
BOOST CONTROLLER
MEGA SQUIRTER

QUESTION: I'M GETTING A BAD IDLE AT TIMES, FEELS LIKE IF IT'S GOING TO TURN OFF... I REV THEN IDLE SETTLES BACK. I ALSO GET TURBO LAG (SOMETIMES) FROM 2-3 RPM'S...

SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!
OR
ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME RESOLVE ISSUE IN SOCAL WELCOME TO COME OVER?...
ONE CAN ONLY DREAM... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Is your blow off valve vent to atmosphere or does it re circulate?

With the stock ecu, if your BOV doesn't re circ the air back into the system, then you will have issues because it is compensating fuel for that air your losing.

The turbo lag can be from a few things, but the biggest reason for your lag in spool time is because its a 20g. Pretty big turbo with the 1.6. Even my 16g has a lot of lag. Another thing to look at to help the spool up time is going to be your exhaust system, down pipe included. Ideally it would be 3 inches with little to no resistance IE cat, muffler, mandrel bent exhaust.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Has it ever ran smooth? Has it ever ran without lag?

A 20g is huge for a 91 1.6. When do you hit full boost, my guess like 5k?

·
Registered
132 Posts
You failed to list key information - manifold and down pipe setup. We must know this.

The first thing you need to do is ditch the band aids and get a real ecu. **** idle and stumble upon transition into boost is common with poor band aid setups, trust me, I had the same thing for years.

As Darth said earlier, we need to know some more information about your car and setup. Preferably pictures, lots of them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbo Lag = Gone! ... :)
I needed to adjust the throttle body.
Now the idle is a little high... but!! it's make up for no lag. :)
Now I need to buy a Mega-Squirter... Turbo Timer... & Boost Control...
After that it's all cosmetic!! :)

Suspension Done
Exhaust Done
Turbo In Progress... :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Lol. I must agree that a higher idle will make the turbo spin more. :p

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
What do you use to control fuel? You have a 20g with no boost control or EMS? That's a sure fire way to blow your **** up. Thats a huge turbo too. If that thing ever spools say good bye to your engine.

·
Administrator
15,725 Posts
What do you use to control fuel? You have a 20g with no boost control or EMS? That's a sure fire way to blow your **** up. Thats a huge turbo too. If that thing ever spools say good bye to your engine.

This.

That car is a ticking time bomb. Damage has probably already been done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts