ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I still don't know what happened... I made the decision to part out my Laguna track build to "take a break" from owning/building/maintaining a track car for 2015 and before I even had all the parts in the mail I was driving this stupid little yellow Miata... for $700.

See, I made the mistake of searching for "Miata" on my local CL during my partout and found this yellow 1992 with hardtop listed for $1700. I then also made the mistake of showing that ad to Tim (Girth Brooks) who insisted that we go buy the car ASAP, so we went and looked at it that night. It turned out that it was originally red with a shitty yellow respray and the soft top was garbage so we talked the dude down to $1300. Tim scored the hardtop and I kept the car as a cheap little DD.

AC
PS
Heat
Automatic
Altezzas

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I drive it ~40 miles home on I10 and it shakes like a crackhead, the belts squeal for 5 minutes every morning and it burns oil for the same duration. I decide to pull some parts from my for sale ad to sit on for this new, accidental "build."

First things first, Tim wants his top.

(sorry, altezzas are gone... for now.)

I drive it like this for a week or so but it starts to get real, real cold... Having never owned a Miata with a convertible top, the whole thing is foreign to me but after carefully studying 1 soft top replacement how-to for 2 minutes I decide that installing my $100 eBay canvas replacement soft top that night was the best idea ever.

5 hours later:

It is now much, much warmer in there but still super fucking boring. The car came with speakers but no head unit so I fixed that with an eBay headunit-less install.

Another week or two go by and I'm growing tired of driving around a stock "yellow" Miata so I install my leftover Swag pack #1: GC/Bilstein combo and GV rep lip.

Before (clearly):

Better:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Second post updated and continued here.

So here's how to car sits 3 weeks in:

Nabbed some Drag DR54s, I've always wanted a set but where I live no one sells wheel outright... they need cash plus wheels in trade? These don't seem to pop up often but when they have I've only had cash, not "steelies plus cash." **** me, right?

They'll be perfect for street duty, 15x8.25 DR54s with 205/50 NeoGens. I still have my C3ms for track wheels but I won't be needing them for a while...

Also happened upon some APR mirrors for pretty cheap. I tossed them on today just because and they didn't sit as bad as I thought they would without the Slick Auto kit, I was expecting much worse? I might just fab up some ABS bases and call it a day, we'll see.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the color, but everything else is terrible

EDIT: also, since it's auto you should just make it swagtastic because yolo
It'll be 1.8 + 5 speed swapped later next year or whenever this tired little 1.6 gives up the ghost.

Chill. Keep the altezzas.
I think sunburst is the only color that can remotely pull off altezzas.
Look, I don't know what's gonna happen with those but I will say that they are not in the trash...

:haiguyths:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sunburst is growing on me. Any shots with the new wheels?

Daiseys don't play well with lowering.
New wheels hopefully today, depending on the amount of rolling that needs to happen. Might have to wait until Friday.

In other news: I had a check engine light this morning.

Looks fine to me but here's a shot of the shitty paint job for good measure:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh no, I'm gonna have to make Miata-specific base plates for sure, but Slick Auto's kit contains new arms to correct the "angle" that the OTS units are limited to, no?

We have the same APR bases, in my photos they're onlt attached with the foremost screw, sorry if I was misleading.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts