ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 M Edition for sale, currently has 116,000 on the clock.

New
Radiator + all cooling system Silicone hoses (including heater)

New
Zest TSIs with LED projectors (retrofitted by me).

New
Seat leather (pleather).

New
Door cards, door handles, carpet.

New
Vynil ebay top + an extra Vynil Ebay top (2tops)

New
Rain rail + I re-wrapped the rain rain with $15 worth of water proof tape

New
Battery + 5 year guarantee from AutoZone

New
Catalytic converter (to pass emissions)

Used
Wheels are not the original chrome but basic NB wheels 15x7

Used
NRG Hub

Used
ATC Steering Wheel

Used
Rear splash guards

Used
Front lip

Bad
The e-brake handle was originally wooden and it is now hideous

Bad
Shift knob is rubber not original wooden knob

Bad
I had this car parked in the garage for 3 years and only drove it for 10,000 miles so tires are not the best, registration was ignored so I had to fork over about $900 in backdues, registration, smog penalties. I don’t expect to get that money back and I don’t consider adding that total to the car’s selling price, but it was spent on it so is it even worth selling?

Maintenance is 100% up to date including clutch, drive belts, timing belt, etc....

Paint is normal for a car that’s been mostly parked in the shade/sun so clear coat is peeling a little. What can I expect to get in cold hard cash posting on craigslist or stuff like that?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes maintenance is up to date, meaning everything the maintenance schedule specifies in the manual has been taken care of from oil changes to lubricating locks and hinges and clutch, timing belt, everything the manual calls for and at the specified times (3 months or 30k miles type of thing).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You will notice one of the seats still has the original seat cover but the new vinyl is in the trunk, and I'm re-wiring the LEDs on the other TSI but everything is complete. Like I said, the top is new and there's an extra NEW top included still in box.

[Edit]

I forgot to mention the top latches have been rebuilt so they are in like NEW condition but I must have tightened them too strong so there is a small tear on the rear window of the top by the bottom (about a 4" cut) due to over tightening.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, would a regular non M-edition also fetch $4k at these same specs or is there any added value to having an M-Edition? The badges alone fetch $100 on ebay from the time I was looking to replace them on my 95.

Selling at $4k I would be losing about $1k in DMV backfees but I guess it isn’t the buyer’s fault so $4k it is. I really would like to get back to working on my MSM I’ve neglected it too long so my 97Mhas to go.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,672 Posts
Well, you have a 97M in name only, for starters. It doesn't have the wheels, for example. When I sold my 97M (which also didn't have its wheels, which I had sold years earlier), I didn't get any premium for it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks guys, would a regular non M-edition also fetch $4k at these same specs or is there any added value to having an M-Edition?
That depends. A lower milage, better condition non-M would probably go for more. An M edition like yours in better shape and lower miles would also go for way more. An all original 97 M could probably fetch $6k, but the price tag heavily depends again on condition and milage. Yours being an M doesn't hurt it by any means, but it doesn't help as much as you probably hope it does.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, you provided a lot of justification for the price being $4k I’ve seen these cars listed at $6k and you also provided the deatils such as wheels and paint. $4k it is, and hopefully I will negotiate my upgrades. I might have a pair of Jass low pros hanging out in my garage lol

I really appreciate the responses from you guys, Concealer, Maksim, I can trust you guys. Bryan I just remembered you were the guy that actually made me want this car, boy it’s been a long frikkin time !!!

·
Administrator
15,204 Posts
No shame in aiming high. I think it will SELL between $3-4k. If it were my car, i'd list at $5-5.5k and see if there's someone willing to pay an "M tax" on a car that no offense, isn't collector grade, but i think you know that. :) Overall it seems like a solid car. I would shift my thoughts more to $4k if that pic showing the paint discoloration on the hood is actually showing condensation or something. If the paint/clear is burned, that's going to be a little turn off.

Hopefully you've got another car lined up/already owned? Don't leave us!

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Andy what is going on brother! Late to the party but the pricing is spot on imo. I sold my 97M in December 2016 for $5000(iirc) with about the same mileage, lots of maintenance items done, SPEC Stage IV (IIRC) with FM 10.3lb flywheel, FM frame rails w/butterfly brace, custom ARTech exhaust, Singular Motorsports hood vents, and more and based on your pics in a little better condition.

So ya I'd ask $5k or so and expect around $4k as well. Hope you become more active and finally make a build thread for the MSM! :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha what's up Chad! It's nice to see you stuck around the forums buddy, sorry about the late reply I just got over a gnarly flu. The MSM has been sitting in my drive way for some years now, my son is now a year and a half and is a little easier to take care of so I will definitely start work on it again. I have a lot of catching up to do, but I'll make sure to start a thread here! Glad to be back!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts