ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have found lots of info regarding 1.8 swaps in 1gen cars. I bought a '99 1.8 to stuff in my BRG '91. Has anyone put a '99 engine in a 1.6 car? Would it be better to use the '99 ECU, and would this require a harness swap? It seems to me that the '91 ECU might not be up to the fuel requirements of the 1.8 Also, what to do about the VICS control? I spoke with flyinmiata and they said to put a MSD rpm switch on it, any idea how to wire it?

Should i use the 1.8 coils?

questions questions. Man I can't wait to get it all done. Is it ever done?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm gonna be doing this too (1992 chassis tho) and have only done a little research so far. The consensus on m.net seems to be that you stick with the 1.6 engine management.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I still have the 1.6 ECU in my Frankenmiata. It works, I guess, I plan on going AEM this summer anyway.

So yes, it works.

·
Registered
499 Posts
ya, you are going to wanna use all the 1.6 sensors, like the oil pressure sending unit, the CAS(you need to extend the wiring too), coils. BUT you are going to run into problems with the intake manifold, because it has a butterfly design that opens and closes depending on rpm. so you will need to rig up a switch, or something that will change it when it needs to. or you will not be running right in either the upper or the lower rpm range. you also need to swap out the front water neck since its diffrent ( i did the rear to, its not a bad idea since the senors could be diffrent. i ran into that) if you can swap them over do it......

also DO NOT USE THE 99 ALT!!!!!! it will fry you computer! swap it out for your 1.6 aswell as your 1.6 crank pulley and waterpump pulley.

hope that helps.
Tyler

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tyler, any idea how to hook up the MSD RPM switch to activate the VICS? I am putting the bigger brakes from the '99 on my '91 BRG. ehhehehehehe

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
You could just tie the VICS open too.
Yep, the FS-DE in the Protege has the VICS intake manifold design, the second anyone has problems with it they just hot-wire it open to the longer manifold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts