ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I think you should find out why that cracked before even thinking of repairing it. That is a very odd crack.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cracked it actually. I used a tool to hold the crankshaft when i was tightening up the crankshaft bolt. Then the tool hit the cylinder head and it cracked
Is that fixable?
thanks

I think you should find out why that cracked before even thinking of repairing it. That is a very odd crack.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Well, that area isn't of particular stress I don't think. You might be able to just weld it back up. As long as its oil tight I don't see a problem.

You can get a rebuilt one on ebay and send them this one as the core though for $350. It says they'll take any core. I'd be weary personally of that head in my car.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there good weld shop which can weld it back up?
probably it is the cheapest way to fix it.

Well, that area isn't of particular stress I don't think. You might be able to just weld it back up. As long as its oil tight I don't see a problem.

You can get a rebuilt one on ebay and send them this one as the core though for $350. It says they'll take any core. I'd be weary personally of that head in my car.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I have no idea where you are, and if you aren't near me, I have no idea. The problem is i don't think you will find any sort of engine repair shop that will even touch this head, they wont want the liability and will tell you just to get a new head. Just check your local craigslist for an aluminum welder if you must.

$350 for a new rebuilt head is dirt cheap. You should do that. Plus this is one of those things where if you sold the car with the head cracked and welded and something went wrong, they will come after you for the repair if it was not disclosed.

I think its a bad idea. I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm sure there is some reason this is a dumb idea. I can't imagine having someone weld this is going to be all that cheap either. You're probably looking at atleast $100 and then you have no guarantee it will even work. You will probably have valve cover gasket sealing issues as well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's aluminum so you need to, well, get someone who knows how to weld aluminum.

There's also a product called alumiweld that's pretty easy to use but I've only seen it done to motorcycle crankcases.

That area seems like it should be fixable if you're lucky. It doesn't see too much pressure or heat (relative to the rest of the engine)...

·
Registered
37 Posts
It looks like the head is still installed on the car. I would try and push the peice back where it belonged and clean it thoroughly with solvent. An epoxy for aluminum inside and out to bond over the crack and forget it. Just don't torque down on the one particular valve cover bolt, you'll pull the broken piece loose. If this doesn't work, then I would consider replacing the head. I would defiantly try to fix it first. I wouldn't take it to a welder he might just warp it just getting it hot enough for penetration. If you take the head off a welder might be able to fix it, but you would probably have to remove the cam, then grind back the weld clean on the inside.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any picks or explaination of the tool or how the hail you came to this end? Its very weldable, with the right person doing the work. Any warpage is a no go. Leave the cam in and put the valve cover back on to hold everything in place the bast you can. Tac the outside nice and slow in several places. Then move to the inside, tac what you can then remove the cam. There are products made to absorb heat that can be used as well as gas baths to help as well. Best case, buy a new head. Im sure it couldnt hurt anyway.

Do not use brake clean to clean the parts before welding as this could cause death.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I broke while i was using a wrench to hold the cam in order to tight up the pulley.

[/QUOTE]
Any picks or explaination of the tool or how the hail you came to this end? Its very weldable, with the right person doing the work. Any warpage is a no go. Leave the cam in and put the valve cover back on to hold everything in place the bast you can. Tac the outside nice and slow in several places. Then move to the inside, tac what you can then remove the cam. There are products made to absorb heat that can be used as well as gas baths to help as well. Best case, buy a new head. Im sure it couldnt hurt anyway.

Do not use brake clean to clean the parts before welding as this could cause death.

·
3,857 Posts
It totally depends on your budget, I would say it's the kind of thing that you might be feeling bad about it w/o being such a big of a deal. The way that it looks the piece is not totally broken off so it might not even leak from there...
If the piece is already separated, clean it up and JB weld it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts