ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
d[-_-]b 56-783
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 engine and trans w/ approximately 120k miles.
- new clutch about 5-6 months ago
- Flywheel looked fine at the time
- rebuilt shifter and changed all fluids (2-3 months ago)

I'm not sure when this started (lets say 3 months ago), but I'd have to say I notice it more and more as time goes by. I'm having trouble shifting into 1st gear and reverse from a stop. Before I would just shift into 2nd or 3rd then back into 1st, but it seems like it's getting harder and harder to get into 1st and reverse as well. Sometimes I'll rock the car slightly and usually it goes in.

I read this thread and noticed that others do the same thing (shift into a different gear then it'll go into 1st or reverse).

My questions are, is my transmission going out? or is it normal to have to shift into different gears before shifting into 1st w/ a transmission this old? Also, how does someone if their transmission is going to crap?

TIA,
-Jo

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would say pretty normal. My 106k 93 was having the same problem. I HELPED it by using some Motorcraft synthetic tranny oil. Everything is smoother, but every once awhile it's still like to act up. I still have to go from 3 to R sometimes, and rarely from 3 to 1. Don't worry about it.

If your tranny was going to ****, you would notice it. Whether by sound or performance.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What fluid did you put in it? I was using Redline MTF, 75w90 oil before and it would do the same thing. Switched to a thinner synthetic oil and it shifts like butter again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts