ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 questions about possible mods...both exterior:

1) what is the thought on moving the side view mirrors about 8-10 inches further forward? So you look out the small triangle window to see them. This "seems" a LOT easier on the driver side (visibility wise) and about equal on the pass side.

2) IF someone wanted to get into this sort of body work...what about removing (filling) the body line in the center of the door...ALL the way around the car? Sort of to smooth out the car.

Comments? Thoughts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
check the mirrors on my car. i've done exactly what you're thinking of.

yes, it is easier to use the sidemirrors by moving them a bit further forward.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I seem to recall some discussion of both issues a few years ago on Miata.net. I'll try to dig up the threads for you. The mirror issue discussed both functionality (visibility) of the mirror and how the mirrors relate to the car's overall proportions. A similar point was brought up when people discussed fender mirrors. I also recall talk of the character/belt line. Some have filled it in while others felt it was essential to leave it to keep the balance of form.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I like the look of moving the mirrors a bit forward.
Almost every single car on the road has some form of line running down the side of the car. It's there because it looks right, I would certaintly not fill it in. Some cars like hondas have an actual ugly peice of plastic that runs down the side that isn't even the same color as the car - so they either paint it to match or pull it off and fill in the holes that are left, but thats a completely different story.
-Ryan

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheOass: Yes, I know about removing ht edoor molding:
Before:

After:

That is my Mazda3 (for sale now)

They are different animals altogether.

To me, its kind of like "molding" a bumper, or shaving the handles. It just makes things look cleaner. However, the initial consensus seems to be:

- move the mirrors
- save the line.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've been told that line produces tons of downforce, don't mess with it.

I like the mirrors, when I have the money I think I may get the zoom extended. The plastic is kinda :-s

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mr. Woolery was kind enough to e-mail me a picture at my request. Thank you for that.

This was just the information I was looking for. Depending on the timing, the line may or may not get filled. I like the "clean" lookit creates when filled. It would be a LOT of filling, which is fine with me.

I think I have decided on the mirrors....now, just need to set some cash aside to get them

Thanks all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts