ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man im going nuts over these lug nuts.......trying to resist pulling out the credit card....

What do you guys think about them?

Can somebody explain the long stud/open lug nut concept to me. If i understand right its a rule on some race courses?? safety?? or is it something to allow you to run spacers when you want and take them off without swaping studs??

link to some specs and pics
http://www.optionimports.com/kiprr40neoch.html

·
2,708 Posts
Long studs *chuckles*, allows for quick and easy rim removal at the track. Ever put on lugnuts and have to hold the top or bottom rim against he rotor so you can thread the lug nut on? Long studs eliminated that. Those blingtastic lug nuts are longer then regular nuts, so I'm assuming its to even out the look.

As Bill said, save your yen.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Sure, they're both lug nuts and can fasten the wheels to the hubs. But the expensive ones have the nice rotating seat like the McGuard spline drives but without the spline drive security feature which not everyone wants anyways. If you plan on keeping the car forever and have disposable income to blow go for it. You only live once. I don't see a tremendous performance benefit to the lightweight lug nuts but they are cool and unique looking. Keep in mind finding a single matching replacement lug might be difficult if you accidentally lose one. Also might be a theft target. The open ended lugs are good because it helps ensure the lug nut is fully seated when properly torqued. This is especially a concern with extended wheel studs. The cap of the closed end lug nut might bottom out on the stud before it's fully tightened down and seated in the taper resulting in a loose wheel that can cause catastrophic stud fracture and wheel separation.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Long studs are put on race cars for 2 reasons. 1)You can add wheels spacers or change to wheels with different offset easly and 2) it's a saftey thing that some orgs. require. Long stud= more time before lug nut falls off hence more time to pull over or ignore it and toss a wheel. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Long stud= more time before lug nut falls off hence more time to pull over or ignore it and toss a wheel.
Thats hardcore roadster talk there man :D

I realized that the extended head allows for easy removal. Those are also threaded almost all the way through for extra thread engagement area. :) doesn't really make them worth $200 but i just love the finish and can't stop thinking about them poking out my new rotas (should have them in a few more days =D> )

·
Registered
459 Posts
i'm rockin kyokuken's too. they had never stripped on me...my only concern is my wheels hub are huge, not letting the stud bottom to the head of the nut-rear only. its like the rear studs are shoter for some reason.thats my only concern which might not affect u may u be using different wheels. hey, kyokukens are cheap and the best bang for the buck...its sturdy, yet pick up 1 nut(hehe) its sooo light. but not aluminum.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Long stud= more time before lug nut falls off hence more time to pull over or ignore it and toss a wheel.
Thats hardcore roadster talk there man :D

I realized that the extended head allows for easy removal. Those are also threaded almost all the way through for extra thread engagement area. :) doesn't really make them worth $200 but i just love the finish and can't stop thinking about them poking out my new rotas (should have them in a few more days =D> )
Haha, yea you'd be suprised how often I've seen the long studs come in handy at the track. With all the rushing around I quess people just forget to tighten the kugs or torque them for that matter.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
you guys are all nuts for considering these :shock: especially those 500 dollar titanium ones
har har har. I like the Kics lugs because of the rotating seat that protects the wheel finish and helps ensure a more consistent and accurate torque. Only YOU can decide if the asking price is worth it.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
I will agree though, you dont want to go to cheap, because I have seen many cheap lug nuts out there strip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts