ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, got a 2000 NB with 60K ish miles. Driving home on the freeway to my dismay the check engine light came on. (stayed on, no blinking). Fortunately I was close by to my mechanic's shop. Dropped in and had them retrieve the code, its 1135, they said it was the oxygen sensor. What they did was delete the code, told me to go about my business and if the CEL was to come back on they would recheck/confirm its the oxygen sensor. Drove home which is about 6 miles away and still no code. Anybody with a NB have this code and end up swapping the oxygen sensor? You think a CEL will come back on (been 6 miles thus far)? Also is it detrimental to the motor to drive around with the CEL/code 1135? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never had to replace mine or anything but it definitely wont kill your car but gas mpg might suffer.
Thanks for the input, so does that mean I have 2 oxygen sensors/2 catalytic converters? I called some places to just get some prices on 02 sensor and they were asking me if its the "upper" or "lower" one. BTW as stated my car is a 2000 Miata LS. I read that this year 2000 ended up having 2 cat converters/sensors? Just wanna confirm if thats the case.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The first one is really easy! Like right behind the P/S pump. The second is near the bottom of the firewall. Both you can access thru the top. Depends on which one the code specifies, but both O2's are the same! I'm on my mobile, but...I found some 4wire o2's that are around 40buck denso brand. You need to solder then in, but it's no biggy.

As for the health of the car, um...maybe MPG, but my car hasn't reacted negatively.
I've just finished driving with the front O2 unplugged for...200+ city miles. The car seems to be less torque-y, but easier reving. (I'm guessing a timing retard)

lemme know if you still have the wheels ;-) and also, if you're in the area.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first one is really easy! Like right behind the P/S pump. The second is near the bottom of the firewall. Both you can access thru the top. Depends on which one the code specifies, but both O2's are the same! I'm on my mobile, but...I found some 4wire o2's that are around 40buck denso brand. You need to solder then in, but it's no biggy.

As for the health of the car, um...maybe MPG, but my car hasn't reacted negatively.
I've just finished driving with the front O2 unplugged for...200+ city miles. The car seems to be less torque-y, but easier reving. (I'm guessing a timing retard)

lemme know if you still have the wheels ;-) and also, if you're in the area.
Thanks for the information, decided to keep the car. :)
BTW im in the fremont -soutbay area a lot.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Its a great car, I would like to see it in person.
You should come to the norcal roadster meet tomorrow at union landing.
And in south Hayward mission side, but drive down to the park near the dumberton bridge.
Thanks
Sounds good, I live 5-10 mins away from Union Landing. What time is this meet at and where exactly (in front of Krispy Kreme or something?) I most likely can make it, nice to meet you there/fellow Miata owners.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whats up guys, got a 2000 NB with 60K ish miles. Driving home on the freeway to my dismay the check engine light came on. (stayed on, no blinking). Fortunately I was close by to my mechanic's shop. Dropped in and had them retrieve the code, its 1135, they said it was the oxygen sensor. What they did was delete the code, told me to go about my business and if the CEL was to come back on they would recheck/confirm its the oxygen sensor. Drove home which is about 6 miles away and still no code. Anybody with a NB have this code and end up swapping the oxygen sensor? You think a CEL will come back on (been 6 miles thus far)? Also is it detrimental to the motor to drive around with the CEL/code 1135? Thanks in advance for your help.

CEL may or may not come back right away, some code will come back after a week or so (google driving cycles)
u can check the freeze frame(when the code happened, engine temp, rpm, things like that) before clear the code

o2 sensor is the first reference for the fuel deliver so MPG will hurt.
keep an eye on running too rich it will clog the CAT

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CEL may or may not come back right away, some code will come back after a week or so (google driving cycles)
u can check the freeze frame(when the code happened, engine temp, rpm, things like that) before clear the code

o2 sensor is the first reference for the fuel deliver so MPG will hurt.
keep an eye on running too rich it will clog the CAT
Oh they didnt do that, they just cleared the code after reading it. Not aware of the freeze frame. If its running rich how will I know? Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
P.S.
I went to autozone and ordered an OE replacement, according to the guy there its plug and play, no need for modification/splicing. I wanted to be sure of this since I didnt wanna deal with splicing/dont know how to do so anyways. Its a Bosch brand oxygen sensor.

Another question, do we erase the code/CEL and then install the new 02 sensor or install the new 02 sensor then erase the code? As of right now my check engine light (CEL) is on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.