ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Announcing the 2013 Portland Miata Challenge!

Dates/Locations: BMW HPDE dates at PIR
4/15
5/6
6/3
7/8
9/9
10/5
(?) Questionable date, can someone confirm it actually exists?

Portland Miata Challenge base rules are here. Use the attached spreadsheet to easily determine your point total.

Classes:
Street: 9 points or less >2200 lbs
Modified: 9.25 – 12.00 points >2100 lbs
Super Modified: 12.25 -17.5 >2000 lbs
Unlimited: 17.75+ points

Here's what's different for the PMC.

a) no entry fee. THIS IS NOT AN ORGANIZED COMPETITION AND NOTHING IS AT STAKE BUT YOUR HAIRDRESSER PRIDE. AND YOUR DIGNITY. But you drive a Miata, so we already know you have neither pride nor dignity.
b) lap time submissions must be from a lap timing device. Harry's Lap Timer, TrackMaster, Aim Solo, Traqmate, etc. No stopwatch time submittals "from your friend" or "I timed myself in the car!" And, anyone submits to me a Traqmate datalog, gets a beer for being baus.
c) this is a friendly competition amongst persons of good repute. Anyone found cheating will suffer the Death of a Thousand Bitch Slaps, have their Cosmetology license revoked, and have their Hair Product discount cards confiscated. And Connor will not allow food for you to be cooked upon his grill. You have been warned ...

I have attached a spreadsheet I created to easily calculate point totals (since we all know that math is not the strong suit of hairdressers).

Use it, determine your point totals, determine your class.

PORTLAND MIATA CHALLENGE SPECIAL RULES:
1) every 100 lbs over class minimum weight: -.5 point
Using standard spreadsheet, determine class car would run in. Subtract .5 point for every 100lbs over the minimum weight for that original class. Resulting point total determines class. Driver may choose which class to run if difference results.

As an example, I include the worksheet for my car. It comes to 15.75 points, placing me into Super Modified (12.25-17.5). Class minimum is 2000 lbs. My car is 2805lbs according to AR scales with me in it, giving me -4 points (11.75), putting me into Modified (9.25-12.00). So I could run either Modified or Super Modified. Edit: However, wheel spacers greater than 3mm automatically bump to Unlimited - therefore my vehicle is Unlimited as I have +5mm spacers in front for my 6UL's to clear the brake calipers.

How to Submit Your Entries

extract the data file
determine the best lap time
compile an email
It puts the data file into the email attachment
create a subject line "PMC - Date Username Class Best Time"
Example subject line: PMC - 4/15 Mobius Supermod 1.34.12
send that to richard dot dodds at teh gmail dot com.

This being Portland, and me loving beer, at the end of the season there will be custom pint glasses for PMC. You want a different prize, go buy yourself a trophy.

Edit: attached the spreadsheet(s). Fixed errors for my car.

Please post your entry in this thread. Describe the car, list its point total and class, and attach the spreadsheet for it.

For each event, edit that post, add the fast lap for that date.

How to Win:
For each event, the following points will be accumulated:
1st place 10 points
2nd place 8 points
3rd place 6 points
4th place 5 points
5th place 4 points
6th place 3 points
7th place 2 points
8th place 1 points
DNF 1 point (if 1 – 7 competitors, otherwise 0)
DQ 0 points

Each contestant's lowest score will be dropped.

In the event of a season final tie for points, the competitor with the most wins will be declared the higher points scorer. If the tied competitors are also tied for wins, the competitor with the highest average points per event will be declared the higher points scorer. If this, too, results in a tie, the faster of the two on the final event of competition wins. If only one of these two competitors runs the final event and comes up in every other way tied, that competitor will be declared the higher points scorer.

Attachments

·
I own Laz and you don't.
2,542 Posts
Car: Project lazarus. 12.5 points, Supermod.
attached is my spreadsheet placing laz in supermod, as well a screenshot of the time. I've sent Richard my data as well.
4/15 fast lap: 1:33.48

Mod edit: If you "go advanced" when posting you can disable smileys so you can type :3

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mobius
Vehicle: 2001 Miata, 15.75 points or 11.75 points, SuperMod or Mod. Spreadsheet attached above.
Edit: Vehicle is Unlimited due to +5mm front spacers

4/15 Fast Lap: 1.34.12
5/06: DNF
6/03 Fast Lap: 1.32.81

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
6.5 pts with Z1's

8.5 pts with 888

Automatically placed into Modified due to weight. ~2100 lbs. 1: 37.068 on 205 Dunlop Z1's. Non existent suspension. Might as well be on Racelands.

Attachments

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
Car: Papa Smurf. Modified with 11.00 points. Best time of 1:34.58. At 2300 lbs with driver, I can get as low as 10 points, still keeps me in modified. I'm freaking Street with 8.5 points if I use my Neo Gens, but I haven't found my best time from session 2 on those yet.

I'm all unofficial because I never had timing on the 6th. But I needed to post this cause I think my car is a beast for an open diff and those tires.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is quick Nial, was that drafting Laz ? :)

Go ahead and put it in your original post please, so it's consolidated.

Martin where's a lap for Laz?

Curly - 1.34? Really? Nice! What was that timed with? My grandstand timing of you had a couple of 1.37's Edit: that would have been Session 2 I think. And there may very well have been quicker, those were early.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
Session 2 was neo gens. Rivals should definitely be faster. 240 tread wear vs. "200".

Timed with my gopro, advancing the video in RaceRender by .1 seconds at a time to a fixed point. That was session 3, chasing and leading laz. Like I said, unofficial.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Yeah it had to have been a lap where I was trying to chase Eddie. I get complacent when I don't have another car to play with. I think it's safe to say I have maxed my car out. There isn't much left in her. Maybe half a second or so in the hands of a better driver.

Need suspension.. :(

Have a few 1: 36.xx and plenty 37's. Getting plenty ballsy as a driver but running out of hardware. I hate using that as an excuse but I think it's valid now. I guess that is exciting too.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Looks like the Facebook group is invite only? Can't comment. We loosely competed together last year but there really isn't a large enough local group that consistently shows up to events.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Looks like the Facebook group is invite only? Can't comment. We loosely competed together last year but there really isn't a large enough local group that consistently shows up to events.
Just ask to join. Keeps it a spam free zone. Use it to connect to other local Miata track junkies

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Just requested to join as well. You california guys need to come up and try ORP and PIR.
Thanks for the invite but that's a long haul for a TT. I've got my hands full running the Miata Challenge TT and SuperMiata race series down here.

I think you guys should start a FB group that approves it's menmbers. Not a page, that's just too much spam.
Let anyone join but you don't have to worry about spam in a fb group.

Oh and I have revised the rules some for 2014. Be sure and check for updates

http://supermiata.com/miata-challenge/miata-challenge-rules/

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts