ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't believe I'm saying this...but I'm actually having seconds thoughts about getting a Miata as a DD, since college is coming up and etc..I'm also interested in 240Z's because they're smog exempt and have that timeless 70's styling..

What do you guys think about getting a non-molested 240Z for a first car and DD? Any opinions are welcome :)

*EDIT* I live in SoCal by the way, so the rust factor isn't much of a problem :S

on a side note: does anyone know any forums for young Z-car owners? Most of the forums I've visited are either barren or just full of old people that just sit and polish their Z's, haha

·
Registered
242 Posts
stick with the miata, it got me through northern california for the last two years of college. it went through snow/rain/wind you'll be fine, mine had a shitty top and leaked into the trunk

I'm from socal and it made the trip up the grapevine full of luggage and on 5th, no need to downshift or overheat

·
Registered
740 Posts
Miata is a perfect DD for college, unless you want to bring more than one hot chick back to the dorm. Even then it can be done.

Really cheap, great on gas, easy to fix, very few common problems compared to the others in it's price range. And girls LOVE them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
240z's on the other hand...
expeeeeeensive. Very.
If not expensive, then it'll be a giant rustbucket...most are nowadays. Not as reliable, seeing as it was built 4 decades ago.

Brilliant if you have money and you're not DDing it, I absolutely love them...but not a good idea for your current situation it sounds like.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just picked up my miata for DD.. Great for school. However, ive had the car for 2 weeks now, and got stranded twice. First time the heater hose blew, then last night the acc belt snapped... But those things are waiting to happen on an all original 175k mile car. For the price tho u cant go wrong. and it feels good to put 10 gallons of 87 octane in to fill the tank and get 300 miles out of it.. 300 fun miles

·
Registered
130 Posts
Old is cool but it is easy to forget how much better cars were made in the 90s. Miata parts are cheap, plentiful and Miatas are a breeze to repair. Save your $$ for beer.

·
Cheyyyaaa
1,389 Posts
I have a buddy that DD a 280Z, love the look, and very easy to work on...but he's had a few troubles with reliability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought one at age 20. I live in socal, they are still rust buckets here man. I love my Z, I wouldn't daily one that is stock especially in college.
Gas is okay.
Still a 2 seater.
Smelling like gas.
Carburetors.
Cold starts...
That infinite feel of pouring money into it.

·
R U ?
7,169 Posts
I can't believe I'm saying this.. since college is coming up I'm interested in 240Z's because they're smog exempt and have that timeless 70's styling..

What do you guys think about getting a non-molested 240Z for a first car and DD? Any opinions are welcome :)

Good luck with that on a college budget.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought one at 16 years old, it was not my only car though (I had a Honda station wagon that my generous parents allowed me to drive). It was a one-family owned car that I bought in running/driving condition for $1900. It wasn't perfect by any means and I spent the next couple of years working on it, eventually completing a V8 swap.

It was, however, the perfect car to learn how to work on and to hoon around in and do autocross.

If you have to DD, get the Miata. It sucks getting stranded somewhere because of a carburetor or ignition issue on an old car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's a fantastic car if you are going to college for auto repair. It can be your freshman, sophmore, junior and senior project

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can't pick up a project and drive it. Any "non-molested" road worthy 240Z that will be reliable enough for DD purposes will be a lot more expensive than a Miata just for the initial purchase. Maintenance in general will be more expensive too if you want to do it right.

I think they're good cars, they do have a cult following. But a lot of people that truly enjoy them have it as a 2nd or 3rd "fun car", have lots of money to spend on it, and drive it for enjoyment over anything else. Hence all the internet Z forums being filled with "old guys" lol. Z's aren't known for being cheap.

·
Registered
740 Posts
*EDIT* I live in SoCal by the way, so the rust factor isn't much of a problem :S

on a side note: does anyone know any forums for young Z-car owners? Most of the forums I've visited are either barren or just full of old people that just sit and polish their Z's, haha
No matter where it is, those cars rust badly. They're notorious for that.
The reason its all older people is because they are the ones that have enough money to fix them.

I have a feeling you're the type that will see the entire forum give you solid reasons not to and proof for those reasons, and then ignore it and rationalize it away cause you like the idea of a 240z whether itll work or not.

·
Bimmer Challenge - B5
2,397 Posts
He's a child. He has a very small attention span and has a lot to learn. I think most of us turned the blinders on to those offering advice at his age.

Good luck with whatever you chose OP. Just spending your parents money in college will keep you pretty busy.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I've spent some time considering purchasing a 510. I ultimately decided without a garage, I have no business owning an older car.
This is something to consider very carefully. I just sold my 73 RX2. I had to daily drive it for a couple of weeks a few summers ago because I had loaned my sister my DD. I was dumping 20 bucks in gas in it every other day just driving it around. If your going to have an older car, it has to be a 2nd or a 3rd car. Parts on a Z are still around, but they can get expensive fast. Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts