ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my NB for about 3 weeks now and I am starting to notice a problem. I have trouble shifting into 2nd gear pretty often (at least once a day). It is always one of two things. Ill either grind going into second, or I will put it in second and it wont be fully engaged. The shift knob will be in second, but I will still be in neutral and I have to pull it back a hair to get it engage. I know my Acura RSX has a grind problem with third gear, but that is a common problem with all RSX's. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on my problem or if anyone has the same problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Same problem, 3rd gear though. Grinds when warmed up, all the time. Fights like hell to go in, too. Double clutching, taking it slow... Only thing that works is waiting like 3 seconds to shift.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Possibility 1: Your 2nd gear synchro is going out. If thats the case I would just look for another 5 speed. Unless you want to try to rebuild a tranny.

Possibility 2: Your clutch slave cylinder is blown. This would mean that your clutch is not engaging all the way and you are basically trying to shift w/o clutch. This is the more likely of the two possibilities (they tend to fail more often than the entire tranny). It isn't a hard fix just make sure you bleed all the air out of the lines once you have done it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i think the synchro is the most likely cause. not sure if brandishing procedures for other manufacturers are any useful for mazda's. but some brandishing procedures are something like this... rev to 2k rpm, and put slight pressure on the affected gear for 5-10 seconds. hand brake up of course. repeat process a few times. its not a definite cure... but will smooth out if its slight. this procedure should not be risky or damaging...but do at own risk.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange thing is... i swithed back to my OEM sift knob (from my voodoo) and the problem went away.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
it may be partly to due with the way the voodoo knob is held as compared to the stock knob. I found the voodoo knob kind of awkward compared to oem and I think I shift better with oem too.

·
CR.net Supporter
207 Posts
i switched all my oils for redline and when i got to the shift turret there was hardly any oil in there. filled it up and holy balls this thing is a hellofalot better shifting, i always have problems making it into 3rd but now its beautfiul and no grinding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts