ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Pull your cluster out and remove the airbag light. It's the one with the grey base. Yours probably isn't spray-painted black unless you tried spray-painting it to get rid of the light like I did. The spray-paint method doesn't work very well, I don't recommend it.

2. Get some appropriately sized heat-shrink and heat-shrink that **** around the bulb. Use something to pinch the end so it melts together.

3. Trim off the excess, pop the bulb back in, and put everything back together. Should look something like this.

4. There is no step 4 you sill guy! You're just puttin some heatshrink on a bulb, it's not that hard!

This is better than pulling the bulb completely because you don't get that buzzing sound from the dash telling you that the bulb is missing, cheaper than the garagestar delete if you've got some heatshrink lying around, and easily reversed. Hope someone finds this useful, cheers.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Does emissions check for Air-Bag light functionality in CA? This will work great for states that don't check startup operations of the car.

Washington State does for reference.

·
Registered
748 Posts
No, I'm pretty sure they only see if the CEL is working.

What does an airbag light have to do with emissions in WA, anyways? :confused:

·
Registered
638 Posts
They have us step out of the vehicle while they test emissions, they failed my rx-8 once due to my air-bag check light not turning off. Repaired it under warranty, but was odd.

·
Registered
473 Posts
^^^it makes 6 sets of annoying buzzing noises, and does it every 20-30 minutes.
gotcha... but I thought if you reach up under the dash and unplug the airbag computer that stops it?

Is it basically either A. Remove the bulb & the computer, or B. Cover up the bulb?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I live in WA state and have never had people look at my engine light. In fact, I went in once with my check engine light on once, and the guy said, "we'll test it anyway, 90% of the time people pass)". Guess what? it still passed....

car with engine light on was a 93 mazda mx6

every time I've taken the miata in, I've been the one stepping on the gas. Now they don't even have you put the car on the dyno, they just have you rev it with the ebrake on. This is for OBDI of course

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just removed my oem steering wheel for a nardi and i read just use a .5 resistor and that turns the light off.....
Im i wrong?
They're referring to the 3(?) impact sensors located on the front clip of the car behind the fenders/bumper. If you're doing that you might as well pull the main CPU box under the dash - it's a 5-10 minute job.

-Zach

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
awful writeup; would fail inspection/emissions here.

the better writeup would be:

1. disconnect airbag.
2. measure ohms on airbag connector.
3. find a resistor that most closely matches.
4. install resistor in harness connector.
5. ???????
6. sell $0.50 worth of parts if for $12 like garage star and profit.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Braineack I hope you know you are like the smartest person I know.
if you have a 90-93 you don't even need a resistor. just tie the two wires of the airbag connector together; light will operate as normal.

is there a worse place than California to get a smog check? My '91 passed with the airbag light flashing.
in VA they make sure the light operates, if it doesn't come on, or it flashes you fail both emission and/or inspection.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts