ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oddly, there is no exhaust discussion forum on MiataTurbo or elsewhere... and there seems to be very little discussion there on the subject. I'm not sure why that is, but hopefully I can gain some useful information here...

I'm looking at Trackspeed Engineering's EFR Turbo setup for my 1994R. It's a street/weekend car, but I like the simplicity of the Borg Warner turbo, and Andrew seems to be making a vastly superior setup to other offerings from longer established vendors.

That said, the TSE downpipe is 3", and after contacting Thermal R&D, they politely declined to offer me the 3" system they manufacture for Flyin' Miata with the necessary 3" bolt-up I'm looking for. TSE system bolts up to a stock exhaust, it just seems silly to use a 3" downpipe with a 2.5" exhaust system...

Enthuza offers a full 3" system, and maybe that's the way to go. Or I could reach out to Abe at ARTech, I guess...

Anyone have any other suggestions? Buy the FM system and take it to a shop to have a 3" downpipe connector made?

Pictures, reviews, etc. of your 3" setup all appreciated.

-Matt

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
ARTech has pretty competitive pricing, imo, especially considering what you get....i mean it looks like automotive artwork. I have yet to hear anyone say anything about Abe or his products. After my last custom ARTech exhaust, I am definitely going that route again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know Kraken offers a 3" downpipe but I'm not sure if they sell the rest of the system. I plan to turbo my NB2, and have almost everything sourced so far, but I elected to go 2.5" for the exhaust. I am not looking for a max effort turbo Miata. My goal is 200-225 whp. That said, I built my own "downpipe back" exhaust, using aluminized mandrel bends and a stainless muffler, with a stainless tip, and a new "high flow" 2.5" cat. I ordered most of it from Summit Racing, and I think it cost me about $200 shipped for everything. I did have to fabricate and weld everything together myself though. You could do the same for a 3" exhaust, the cost and effort would be similar.

link to my exhaust build;
http://www.tampabaymiatas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16989

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Downpipe and manifold will be TSE parts, I'm just looking for the exhaust.

I'll get in touch with Abe at ARTech and also see what Kraken can offer. Pictures of both of their work look outstanding.

Any ideas what muffler FM uses on their 3" setup?

-Matt

·
Registered
196 Posts
Downpipe back isn't rocket science - it's literally just a 3" tube + muffler that fits within the space available. Just get a local exhaust shop to do a mandrel bent 3" in your choice of material with your choice of muffler. Likely be cheaper than shipping a big exhuast from far away. I'm sure ARTech or Kraken could do a great 3" though.

Miataturbo's big on the big straight-thru magnaflows that only just fit as they sound good and are really quiet for a 3" exhaust.

·
Administrator
15,183 Posts
As far as i know, the TSE kit will not bolt up to stock exhaust. If it DOES, Enthuza makes a 3" turbo exhaust that would fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as i know, the TSE kit will not bolt up to stock exhaust. If it DOES, Enthuza makes a 3" turbo exhaust that would fit.
From TSE's website:

Downpipe specs:

Fits 1994-2005 Miatas and 1990-1993 Miatas with 1.8L engines
3" diameter from inlet to outlet for maximum spool and power potential
Compound CNC mandrel bent construction eliminates several weld joints and ensures dimensional accuracy
304SS stainless steel retains heat and resists corrosion better than mild steel
2-piece construction reduces cost, but once assembled, the downpipe can be installed as a single piece
Stainless steel flexible joint isolates the manifold/downpipe from exhaust system motion and stress
Connects to your factory catback or aftermarket exhaust (3" recommended)
2004-2005 MSM owners: You MUST use an aftermarket 2001-2005 NB 2.5" or 3" exhaust when using our downpipe

http://www.trackspeedengineering.com/trackspeed-efr-turbocharger-system.html

I'm just bummed that Thermal won't work with me on a 3" connector for their FM system. I'll probably call Flyin' Miata just to see if they can do it, but I'd rather cut out the middle-man. I have the 2.5" Thermal R&D/FM system on my 1991 FM2 2554R car, and it bolted up perfectly, looks amazing, sounds great, and wasn't terribly expensive.

Maine is also starting to tighten up on emissions. 2001+ cars now have a CARB catalytic converter inspection and mandate, so it's only a matter of time before they start looking more carefully at older stuff, sniff test, etc. Ugh.

-Matt

·
Administrator
15,183 Posts
FM doesn't fabricate things. If Thermal doesn't have it, then neither will FM. I don't see the point in trying to use the FM setup if it would require custom work on top. I'd just call Jason @ Enthuzacar and get it done wit.h.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Kraken will sell you a complete 3" exhaust. When I got my TSE manifold and DP, I had to get my buddy to cut off the flange from the TSE DP and weld on a v band to mate up with my 3" MK turbo exhaust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would make sense to me, if Trackspeed is endorsing using 3" exhaust with their system, and including a full 3" downpipe, to have it as a V-band setup. It seems a shame to have to cut a brand new part, but I completely understand. Coming from aircraft, everything turbo-exhaust should be v-band.

I guess it simplifies things if you wanted to use a stock system for a short time, or use one of the existing systems... but most of those are 2.25" or 2.5" at most.

-Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts