ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal, Im piecing together parts from ebay to make an Intake, basically I want to do a "racing beat" style setup, putting the filter right behind the left headlight.

I could use some suggestions on what to try to make that 160-180* turn.

Ive looked at some 3" exhaust tubing, but I dont think it turns tight enough, total diameter of the bend is about 12"

I was just looking at silicone tubing, which was advertised for turbos/intercoolers/intakes, and was only able to find it (on ebay) up to a 135* bend, which might not be enough on its own. I may have to get 2 90* bends. This stuff is kinda pricey though, and how sturdy is it? It looks like it would kind of be a flexible tube, almost like a hard rubber.

Ill probably go to home depot after work today and see what they have to offer, I would like to hear from anyone thats done their own "poor man's" setup

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was thinking of the same thing. After I dump the power stearing I will have alot of room over there. I was thinking of maybe a cold air box that is fed through my TSI's.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
I seem to recall someone sometime ago on miataforum constructing just such an intake using ABS plastic drainage pipe from a hardware store. In black, it almost looked factory made.

Alternatively, you can get fiberglass flexi-tubing used for brake ducting; it will take underbonnet temps no problem, and you can fit it where you want. Doesn't look too pretty though.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was in Pep Boys a few weeks back and they stock DIY tubing for making your own intake. Give them a shot...
Stopped by Autozone and got 2 90* elbows on the way home. Im still waiting for my intake from ebay though so Im sort of unable to test fit it. A pro and a few cons...

+I can only begin to imagine what you can piece together with these, endless adjustability for the perfect fit. Even without popping the hood, I know that if I use these pieces it will fit.

-They are hard plastic, quite frankly Im worried about them cracking, or melting.
-Each 90* bend is literally 90* square, its not a rounded curve. So 2 of them put together makes you a nice boxy intake tube.
-It looks cheap.
-Total cost for 2 ghetto plastic 90* bends and rubber coupler with clamps is near that of the 135* silicone tube, and isnt exactly good looking.

Wow I think I already convinced myself to return them, lol. When I get the filter Ill see how it goes.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, the above post was just looking at the stuff, I decided to play with my new hamster cage tubes and see what I came up with.

Ok, so it doesnt really look that bad, and it actually feels kinda sturdy. Im tempted to go buy a cheap filter just so I can install it tonight.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha, thats only a small preview. got about 20 bottles there on our table, which is actually a wicker 2 headed elephant thing. I guess its good luck in china, its CDM!

ok anyways, I did install the whole intake setup because my filter finally got here today. Its raining currently so I cant take pics but it looks pretty good. Its a tight fit and its all knockoff parts, but it did sound good as hell and definately feels like it flows alot better than the stock box. at low rpms and mild acceleration it behaves like a stock car, but if you get on it, oh the beautiful sounds and throttle response.

I definately need to do something to reduce the heat getting to the intake piping, be it insulation on the piping itself or ceramic coating the header sheild or something to that nature. oh well one of these days......

yeah, uhh, still need to get the cruise out of there...

the boogie van

1 - 11 of 11 Posts