ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... Yeah, I think they're done. :)

They were this close to the backing on one pad, and both fronts have that massive lip at the edge (and that sucker's SHARP!)

All that on brand new rotors and pads in 3k miles... but the sparks that flew off the wheels are night made it almost worth it! ;)

Time to invest in dedicated street pads since I've been driving the Miata a lot more than I intended to at the start.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hells yeah! Anyone can have a lip on their wheels, but the next big thing is gonna be a lip on your rotors to match! I can see it now.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HP+ aren't grippy enough. I've used 'em on the Neon. They'd probably make for an okay street pad for my needs though.

I have GT-Sports on the S2000 right now. Can't stand the noise, love the stopping.

Nah, I can't recall the actual model name, Eddie sold them to me as Spec Miata pads, and they're Cobalts. I can't recall the real name. These are way more agressive than the GT+. I wasn't planning on street driving nearly as much as I have when I installed 'em.

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
HP+ not grippy enough? Strange, i have them on my NB and love them. I go on regular mtn. runs and they hold up great. Maybe i've never riden in a car with super-dooper brakes though :D

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heh. I'm evil on brakes, and i'll even admit it though.

In the Neon I melted a set of wheel centercaps on HP+'s. I also cracked the rotors in 14 places through to the vanes. The heat couldn't get dissipated quick enough, and the pads and rotors died horribly.

The roads near my house are a bunch of 20mph corners, with room to squirt to 80 in between 'em. I usually come home with glowing rotors 2-3x a week.

I used to have Hawks on the Miata for about 3 years, and I got tired of cooking them 2x a week, coming home unable to stop because the brakes felt like I was squeezing a wood block, and both the pads and fluid were cooked.

I did the same thing in 2 laps at Pacific Raceways to Ultimates on my WRX before I replaced them with GT-Sports after that single day thrashed them.

The GT-Sports hold up for street (but i have little faith in how long they'd make it on track), but they don't make them for the Miata. Being that it was going to be exclusively a track toy, I wasn't going to throw HP+ on it and lose them after 4 laps at PIR.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well this throws a wrench in the works... Cobalt stopped making that compound!

I can't get anything more agressive than an Axxis Ultimate anymore (by Thursday anyhow), and an Ultimate is at best an HPS equivalent. No GT Sports either, which would have been marginally better (HP+ as a benchmark IMHO).

So now, I'm stuck having used my racepads on the street, having to run street/autocross pads on the track Friday.... plus I have to buy both front and rear, because I can just imagine how scary the Axxis fronts will be when they fade, and the rear SM pads just start to come into their own... can you say death by trailbraking?

Hrm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts