ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a scale of 1-10 with skilled hands how hard is the 302 swap into an NA and how much is it really worth doing??? i just need a basic summary of the difficulty and the value of it....because i have the money i have the hands and tools (i havent bought the engine yet) but i wanna know if its worth it and how hard it is

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I love it, but I want a lighter motor to keep the balance. I havent seen a 5.0/miata on scales though so I dont know maybe its fine?

I would love v8 rumble and torque

·
CR.net Supporter
3,190 Posts
I love it, but I want a lighter motor to keep the balance. I havent seen a 5.0/miata on scales though so I dont know maybe its fine?

I would love v8 rumble and torque

I was thinking if you had some aluminum heads it should help with the weight balance on that

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
IIRC, there's really only about a 70 lb. difference, but I could be dismembering... I have seen a supercharged 5.0 Miata pass somebody at Deal's Gap once. It was a cloud of blue smoke and a primal roar. :D

·
Kicked off the island..
3,062 Posts
As far as weight goes, which i attempted to be conscious of in my own swap, the rear end (ford 7.5) is around 30 lbs. heavier than the stock setup, and the engine and transmission is around 100 lbs. heavier if you ditch the stock accessory brackets and go with a custom aluminum alternator bracket like i did. Then once you replace the stock iron heads with aluminum heads, you can shave about 50 off of that, which would completely restore your 50/50 balance. Add various extra bracing of 50lbs.. given all of this, it's possible to do the swap and only gain around 130 lbs. (replace seats w/ lightweight seats and lose even more) which can be astounding with 300 ft. lbs. of torque. That's the goal with my build. The swap could be done very easily if you didn't pay that much attention to detail or weight as I have. The swap could technically be done in 4 weeks or so if you can acquire martin's kit (v8miata.com) and a wrecked or used foxbody (87-93) mustang to get all engine and wiring parts from. This would be the best route unless you want to build it all from scratch. Which is a PITA. But you would then most likely tip the scales around 2600 lbs. After doing the swap, I would have to say that 7.5 is a fair scale reading. The only thing I haven't done is build an engine, which will come this summer. I would estimate i've been through about 8 cut off wheels and a fair share of drilling and tapping in order to customize things and remove sections of the car to make things fit perfectly. But I'm OCD like that, so to each their own. Any other questions?

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you have lots and lots of money, an aluminum 5.0 racing block is available from Ford Racing Technology (formerly SVO.) If a shitload of money fell on me, I'd get the car running with a junkyard Mustang engine, then build a nice all-aluminum 5.0 with a moderate cam and a world-class T-5 and drop it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts