ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
That's horrific. Obviously, the full story isn't known very well right now, but how in the hell do you shoot a bunch of people at 7am at a school and then cruise around for a few hours unbothered until you decide to shoot a bunch more people two hours later? I don't get it. Tragic though. Frickin moron whoever the shooter was. He ended up dying of course. Great way to go out, securing himself a first class ticket to hell...
-Ryan

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Tragic for sure. I wonder how many students/ faculty/ staff on campus are legally permitted to carry fire arms and choose to do so on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tragic for sure. I wonder how many students/ faculty/ staff on campus are legally permitted to carry fire arms and choose to do so on a daily basis.
If it's anything like my school (UNCC) none. There are signs at the entrances saying that firearms are forbidden on campus.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Bad news.

When I attended UT-Knoxville, no guns were allowed. Probably just as well given the number of 18 year olds getting paralytic on grain alcohol.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Bad news.

When I attended UT-Knoxville, no guns were allowed. Probably just as well given the number of 18 year olds getting paralytic on grain alcohol.
It hasn't changed at UTK. At least the paralytic part.

Guns weren't allowed for students when I was there, but that didn't mean Hess Hall wasn't armed to the teeth on every floor (except the Virgin Vault). I can't speak for the other dorms, as I never spent any time in any other dorms except Hess and Melrose when I was attending there.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Bad news.

It hasn't changed at UTK. At least the paralytic part.

Guns weren't allowed for students when I was there, but that didn't mean Hess Hall wasn't armed to the teeth on every floor (except the Virgin Vault). I can't speak for the other dorms, as I never spent any time in any other dorms except Hess and Melrose when I was attending there.
I think I was pretty sheltered when I was at Melrose. Years later, when I was teaching in Alabama, one of my PhD students got caught with a Beretta on State property. Quite rightly, he got busted.

·
Registered
116 Posts
its just great when nobody is allowed to have a hand gun, so we all become a bunch of sitting ducks as the only ones who are armed are the nut cases with no regard for the law.

it would be nice if we actually had a means of protecting ourselves, seeing as most of the police are heavily wrapped up in traffic tickets and other more important matters..

i used to think that the republic of california was the only state where you are not allowed to protect yourself... i guess i was way off.

god bless all of those lost in this tragedy.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I think I was pretty sheltered when I was at Melrose. Years later, when I was teaching in Alabama, one of my PhD students got caught with a Beretta on State property. Quite rightly, he got busted.
Melrose always struck me as the safest, calmest and honestly nicest dorm on campus, despite its age. The only issue I had with it is that it got hot as *Hades* during certain times of the year. I loved their courtyard. It was amazing the air of calm that Melrose held being in such close proximity to the chaos that is Hess. I was at peace when I visited friends there. I don't remember a calm moment visiting friends at Hess.

Your student definitely should have been busted. I don't necessarily agree with a law that abrogates one's ability to defend one's self, but so long as the law is there you have an obligation to obey it until you can find a way to change it.

(edited because I can't punctuate)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The best part is that I didn't even know there was a shooting until almost 10am. My first 2 classes were business as usual. Not even the teachers knew that there had been a shooting at 7AM. **** I was brushing my teeth when it happened.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
This is extremely tragic.
However, I will note that no one is a sitting duck if they're unarmed. It all depends on who thinks quickest.
And before anyone says otherwise, I've been in that situation, and I'm still here. And no, its doesn't make me some sort of badass or anything, its just stupid for people to think that just b/c someone has a gun, the opposing party is harmless and "a sitting duck."

I am damn proud of the students that barricaded the door to their classroom so the shooter couldn't get in. Those guys (and possibly girls) saved 30+ lives, although it was at the expense of several others.

That being said (and I know this isn't exactly Christian of me...or even nice) but I hope the shooter burns in hell.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
That being said (and I know this isn't exactly Christian of me...or even nice) but I hope the shooter burns in hell.
+1 I completely agree. What is this world coming to?! It's sad sometimes really that we're seen as such a great nation and travesties like this have to occur so often.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My wife told me about this last night. We don't have cable because we're never really home and all the good cable package cost $80-$100. (That's money I'd rather put to my car) Anyhow, I'm not sure how the campuses are back east, but out here, wello for the few campuses I've been to. The campus security seemed pretty well organized. I'm not sure if any campus security really trains for scenarios like that, but unfortunately now they will all have too. I doubt anyone would try that at San Jose State considering San Jose PD has offices on campus and SJPD headquarters is litteraly 5 minutes away. My prayers go out to the families of those students.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I doubt anyone would try that at San Jose State considering San Jose PD has offices on campus and SJPD headquarters is litteraly 5 minutes away.
Seeing as how he shot himself in the end I think someone who does this is not concerned about contingencies. He wasn't planning to escape so I doubt it would have mattered to him if there was an army base next door.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I doubt anyone would try that at San Jose State considering San Jose PD has offices on campus and SJPD headquarters is litteraly 5 minutes away.
Seeing as how he shot himself in the end I think someone who does this is not concerned about contingencies. He wasn't planning to escape so I doubt it would have mattered to him if there was an army base next door.
Good point, but why do they always have to kill themselves? Frustrates me to see it end like that. Then people have no explanation as to why they did what they did. No notes, no videos, no "I am mad becuase I failed my psyc exam and now I want to kill everyone" type of letters. Then it is categorized as a random killing spree.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts