ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 34mm diameter throttle plate too small for a street tuned 1.6L motor with DIY IRTB? It appears that Jimmy @ Fuji-Racing uses 45mm AE111 throttles on his 1.8L and chokes them down to 38mm for the street (and uses 38mm long velocity stacks) but he says that he can choke them all the way down to 30mm depending on tune and desired results.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think unless you're running higher than stock comp., have cams and headwork, and have a means to hardcore tune your motor, I think varying the size of the plates, runners, and stacks won't affect you that terribly much. Not saying that it won't make a difference, but I'd be more worried about getting the car running decently and have it streetable before I started messing around with the finer elements of the setup.

Just my 2 cents :D

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hardware is not a finer point. It's a critical point and the most spendy bit next to the ECU. I don't want to deal with making chokes for the larger throttles and you can't make small throttles bigger. I was looking at some Bing throttle bodies that looked like they'd be super easy to space out but could only find them in 34mm. I've decided to wait until I can piece together the system I want to have, not the one I can only afford right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts