ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OOP Is done
Little dings form container damage(i work at a body shop, no biggie)
BONE STOCK
Hella (R) Foglights.
Has daisy's.
Dark Green with tan interior.
5 spd

$4k tax in.

Good deal?

How should i approche my insurance company? Do i need to emissions the car?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Is that 143,000 kilometers or 143,000 miles? And are we talking Canadian dollars or US dollars? I know Roadsters are more scarce up north but I think you'd be able to find better value in a different car unless this is the exact one you've always been looking for. But take my advice with a grain of salt as I've never imported a Roadster into Canada myself.

·
This is a long user title
3,210 Posts
4k for a miata is a good deal but you can find some lower milage if you search a lot. For the canadian price, it's a real nice deal, don't know about the resale value for a rhd.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My Miata/ Roadster:

1800 at auction
2100 to bring it over
1500 slush fund. (tires, OOP, fluid change, etc)

so $4000 isn't too bad.

But, mine has 87,000km on it (also stock). If you can see it, then there is alot of risk gone, and that is work something for sure.

·
CR.net Supporter
676 Posts
I paid $7,500 CAD

62,500 Kms
BRG w/ Tan Leather
Daisy's
Stock
Hardtop

Shipped to my door. Get my own inspection.

Honestly, buying locally is a friggen ripoff!!! The ones you can find in the auto trader are way over 9 g's, and have twice as many km's on them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tuned and I are bringing two over ourselves. Should prove to be cheaper then goinng through an imported. I will let you know how it is going.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
This one was up for 4300 in Vancouver. No OOP though.
http://www.importconcern.ca/stock/100288/

40 thousand less K though
But its a piece of crap. Look at the auction condition report:

Its had a new bonnet, fender and door. Grade 2. Repainted bumper is badly peeling; suggesting a cheap repair. Feb 1990 car by the looks of it. Car would have cost $500 or so at auction. Grade 2 suggests the repairs weren't great.

See: http://hometown.aol.com/Saz9961/roadster+vins.xls to get an idea of age based on Roadster VIN.

Some general hints from UK importers I have picked up. The auction grading system has gone all screwy. A few years ago, a Grade 4 car would have been a really good car. Now, you can easily end up with a car needing a respray. Though the panels will be all original. Grade 3s; if they've had the repairs done, worth a punt, provided you can get the agent to check if the car has been jigged or not. Repairs to this grade of car often mean minimal cosmetics are needed when the car is landed.

I've been having to deal with an import recently where the repair done wasn't great; some of these cars are just fixed up to get through an auction and out of the country.

If I was importing a car myself, I would tolerate no more that 1 panel replaced. Anything more than that, and you really are taking a risk n damage to the frame, and whether its been repaired well. The problem with the auctions is that the agent doesn't get a chance of that close a look at the car, nor can get high res. pics. You have to commit to buying the car, before you can get better pictures. Any agent/importer worth their salt will have a money back deal if at this point the car is not what you expect.

I've heard a lot of good feedback about
www.mx5.jp

They are really good getting better pics of damage repairs for you. Someone I knew imported a sweet ultra rare white R-Limited from there; it had some repairs done in Japan, but the pics they took gave him confidence that there wasn't much wrong with it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, I figured that since he worked in a body shop, he might not might the damage. And he could see if there was frame damage when he went to view it.

As for exporting from JDM cars from Canada to the US, I am pretty sure it is illegal. But that is only a little bit better than a guess.

·
CR.net Supporter
350 Posts
www.mx5.jp
Roadsternut this is a really good site =D> =D> =D>

·
Registered
99 Posts
Out of Province inspection. Whenever you move a car from one province to another, there needs to be an inspection as to whether or not it is road worthy. Sometimes you are lucky, and get away only having to buy new windshield wipers. Sometimes you are unlucky, and have to get new tires, glass, headlights. It depends alot on the shop you are taking it to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts