ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 90 with the original transmission and found a 6 speed tranny and it supposidly fits and wonder if it is a worthy "upgrade" the car is used as a dd and occasionally raced.

is it a good upgrade or is it more a gas saver.

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it just mechanically bolt in do i need a oem computer for the tranny, or piggy back.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes, it mechanically bolts right up but you have to use the 6-speed bell housing. The are supposedly good for up to 350-400 Hp.

If you hunt around enough on m.net you will find an article on it.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome!! mileage isn't an issue when the next motor goes in or this one is rebuilt it gets itbs (at least thats the plan)i'd expect on accel it would suck but at 50-60 steady it would be better (lower the revs)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since you are swapping out the five for the six and you want to lower your rev's you'll need to swap out the rear diff also. On the 5 speed the final drive in the diff is taller and you'll rev higher at say 50 or 60. You'd be better off swapping the whole drive train and getting the six speed with the lsd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the 5 speed cars the gearing in the pumpkin is at 4.10 but with the the six speed cars the gear in the pumpkin is at 4.085. this gearing difference between the 5 spd and the 6 speed will make a difference. He's better off just getting the whole drive train from a 1.8 with the 6 speed and the LSD. I wanted to just swap out the tranny on my 92 1.6 and in talking to my mechanic he told me of the rear diff gearing difference. I drive 41 miles on the highway to and from work and he said that I would turn more RPM's becasue of the rear diff gearing difference, He said I would be better off just to find a complete drive train with the LSD which has a lower gearing than the standard rear ends.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
To those who just saw my post in the turbocharged forum.

I have a 1.8 turbocharged 1.8 engine with a 6speed and 4.10 RX-7 rear end. I must say in my case that the six speed really helped me since my t3/t04 Stage 3, .48 housing was a little bit lagging at take off. With the 6 speed the gear ratio changed and the car is now a Very Scaring Car.

The 6 Speed tranny is NOT ONLY stronger, is WAY better than the 5 speed. If you do not know this, the company name, AISIN for the 6speed also make transmissions to TOYOTA which is good enough for me.

Also, if you compare both transmissions closely you can see that the 6speed is not only better made, the synchros design was also improved. The 5 speed tranny in not bad but the 6 speed trannny is just waaaaaaaay better than the 5 speed. I have seen and compared both to write this statement.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i have a 93. w/ the 4.3 rear still

but iv wanted to upgrade to a 6speed and a 1.8 4.1 rear end for a while now. the gearing will be shorter but not much.

*now if you put a 6 speed on w/ the the 1.6 4.3 rear end, that would be really short!!!

and for most of us that are into racing /performance driving the added rpm is good. i take all backroads to work anyway, are highy sucks when you sit 2 in off the ground.....

my .2cent

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
OK, so let me get this right. Were I to swap in a 6-speed into my '94 (1.8L 4.10 stock) I'd still rev higher on the highway due to output shaft speed from the 6 speed being higher than the 5 speed? That would suck. That'd mean I'd have to find some 3.9xx gears from something. Didn't the aussie 'yata's have taller gearing or something?

Also, what is needed for the swap? Obviously the transmission and shifter, but what about the driveshaft? I know I've read the swap info before, but I can't seem to find it any more.

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
OK, so let me get this right. Were I to swap in a 6-speed into my '94 (1.8L 4.10 stock) I'd still rev higher on the highway due to output shaft speed from the 6 speed being higher than the 5 speed? That would suck. That'd mean I'd have to find some 3.9xx gears from something. Didn't the aussie 'yata's have taller gearing or something?

Also, what is needed for the swap? Obviously the transmission and shifter, but what about the driveshaft? I know I've read the swap info before, but I can't seem to find it any more.
First item on the page

http://miataroadster.com/

·
Registered
147 Posts
i'm going to put up my old 6-speed for sale soon. i would recommend a rebuild, but it is still working. it just crunches when shifting 2-3, other than that it works perfect. PM if you are interested and i'll give a good price for pick up in san fernando area.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts