ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not a lot, but a little more on the Sol

http://www.timeattackforums.com/forums/show-shine/1916-my-rta-street-fwd-build.html

I for one wouldn't be considering 5x114 hubs without also considering a brake upgrade, I'm fine with getting just the bare hubs, I'll even add my own studs (ARP) if I have to.

I'm more concerned with whether or not the caliper from a readily available BBK will line up. Obviously a different rotor will have to be sourced. But it would be easier if the alignment of the rotor to caliper was same as OE. Otherwise I'll have to start from scratch with a BBK.

·
Registered
177 Posts
wonder if we can find a disk the same as the good-wins bbk.if so it would be a sweet swap with 11" rotors and wilwoods....just a thought

bone

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
On a big brake kit you should be able to get it sorted out. The plan I have is to keep the same rotor offset but you will have to use a larger hat to clear for the larger stud spacing.

On a development note I spent 2 hours working on the front hubs this weekend. I will have to do some machining for the fronts and I think I will be able to do a test fit after that. Guesstimate on time for this is 2 weeks.

Derrick

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So you're saying you have it figured out for the 1.8 hubs, but not the 1.6? What else would be needed to make the 1.6 work for 5x114 besides your kit? can all the 1.8 stuff be swapped to a 1.6 and then work out with the kit?

The rotor diameter is the hang up on the 1.6 models. If you are running the 1.8 NA brakes this will be a bolt on.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just thought of another question, I keep forgetting ABS is a rarity among Miatas, is there any chance these new hubs will accept the OE tone ring?

·
Registered
490 Posts
For 15" and 14" rims, aren't there more/better choices in 4 x 114.3?
Which is why there is a 4x114 thread. I can't speak for anyone else here but I'm not considering the 5x114 hubs to run a 14 or 15" wheel.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Any updates on this?

I would think that the 5x114.3 would have much more interest than the 4x114.3.
Heck, I used to own a AE86 with 4X114.3 and used a wheel spacer kit to convert to 4x100....

·
Registered
159 Posts
The only people that want to run 4x114.3 are the guys that want to put 1980s low offset JDM wheels on their cars.

5x114.3 would be very popular for all the V8 guys running around that need a tire bigger than a 225.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The only people that want to run 4x114.3 are the guys that want to put 1980s low offset JDM wheels on their cars.

5x114.3 would be very popular for all the V8 guys running around that need a tire bigger than a 225.
and how many v8 guys are out there...?
vs. the rest..?

anyhow, if you need something wider than a 225, then get flares.
simple and done.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hi. My name is Jason Griffith, I'm the product development engineer here at CorkSport and I'm getting this project rejuvenated and off the ground. The drawings are done and we're looking at the machining costs and casting options. We're also looking at rotor options which will allow us to open up the 4x114.3 options for our customers. The 5 lug option is a lot easier because we can utilize off the shelf parts.

The way we're looking at the product design right now is to offer the hubs as well as the part numbers for our customers to source the rotors locally. You can almost buy rotors cheaper than we can ship them these days, and anything we can do to save our customers costs on a project like this adds value. We are, of course, evaluating options for an aluminum hat rotor design that can be combined with these hubs as well.

I'd like to hear if there are other interests in how we lay out the kit options for these hubs and whether or not there are other considerations worth taking. I know the Lincoln 8.8 rear differential and half shafts are popular with the built Miata crowd and at the point where we're manufacturing a set of hubs, changing the spline and hub nut surface details just becomes another option assuming we can sell enough of them to make a difference.

Any thoughts on this? I'll be updating the other thread regarding 4x114.3 as well.

Thanks for your time - and nice meeting you all,

Jason Griffith
CorkSport Mazda Performance

·
aka Panda
899 Posts
what is the kit going to use for calipers? stock?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Due to the hub size and required rotors the brakes will be the 1.8 size. Getting rotors for the 1.6 calipers would require custom made rotors.

-Derrick

·
Registered
394 Posts
What is the anticipated costs to this four wheel hub kit (minus our own rotors) and what off the shelf rotors will work with this kit?

I am down to my last set of 4x100 wheels and will have no issues converting over to 5 lug.

Are you going to offer wheel studs in the hubs? Possibly ARP or similar extended units?

Pending the answers to my question i would be down for a kit with the stock miata splines.

Thanks,
Matt

21 - 40 of 81 Posts