ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitted it with my dad on Monday, horrid job that took forever, although If i were to do another it'd take much less time! bad pics cos it's dark and I forgot to do ones during the install, but there's great pics of it out of the car further down the forum ;)

I've one very stiff car now for a weight penalty of less than 10kg :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no! does it look it?

It's an Okuyama/Carbing 6pt Roll bar.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10kg only? Wow- that's amazingly light. Is it chrome-moly or aluminum?
been told it's Alloy, tho I wouldn't know what chrome-moly looked like if it hit me in the face! ;)

Bryan, I will thanks ;) :D

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
It looks like aluminum, or do my eyes decieve me? Its not a rollbar then... its a style bar/stiffener.

Most of the Carbing rollbar/cage stuff is more bling than function... (wait, i'm thinking cusco.... carbing makes rollbars now?)

I'm now really curious as to the metal used... because it really really looks like aluminum in those pictures.

edit:... through some searching i found a carbing polished aluminum s2000 rollbar.... Uh? Is anyone else bothered by a rollbar being made from aluminum?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like aluminum, or do my eyes decieve me? Its not a rollbar then... its a style bar/stiffener.

Most of the Carbing rollbar/cage stuff is more bling than function... (wait, i'm thinking cusco.... carbing makes rollbars now?)

I'm now really curious as to the metal used... because it really really looks like aluminum in those pictures.

edit:... through some searching i found a carbing polished aluminum s2000 rollbar.... Uh? Is anyone else bothered by a rollbar being made from aluminum?
why does Alui bother you, they make whole cars out of the stuff you know?

The main reason for fitting it was to stiffen up the shell, which it's done dramatically so.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
why does Alui bother you, they make whole cars out of the stuff you know?

The main reason for fitting it was to stiffen up the shell, which it's done dramatically so.
If some stiffening is the only reason... then ok I guess. Rollbars are usually for rollover protection though :p.

It's like the folks who have cardboard boat building contests. Sure it can work... but when the real test comes... it isn't the material of choice for a reason.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If some stiffening is the only reason... then ok I guess. Rollbars are usually for rollover protection though :p.

It's like the folks who have cardboard boat building contests. Sure it can work... but when the real test comes... it isn't the material of choice for a reason.
that's a crap analogy. they make whole cars out of Aluiminum, and not hokey cars either. Jaguars Audis etc. as long as it's well designed it's not an issue.

I'm also positive that if I ever did rollover (god forbid) what's currently installed will provide far better protection that the stock safety equipment.....(all made of steel btw....)

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Richy, looking good man. I like the integrated harness bar and your leather seats are pimp.

Is anyone else bothered by a rollbar being made from aluminum?
Yes and no. In an open car an aluminum roll bar might not withstand abrasion as the car skids down the road on its roof as well as a steel bar. But then again a roll bar is generally a one time use only kind of thing. Aluminum is more difficult to work with. If I had confidence in the manufacturer's aluminum fabrication abilities then I might be okay with it. It's rarely seen here in the USA since few racing organizations will allow it since it's so easy to screw it up. Steel is much more forgiving of mistakes. The Carbing bar is aluminum. The M2-1001 roll bars were also aluminum. I wonder about the M2-1028? Some rock solid bicycle frames are made of aluminum. From the 1960's through the early 1980's race cars chassis were often aluminum monocoque but I don't know whether the roll structures were steel or aluminum.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Richy, looking good man. I like the integrated harness bar and your leather seats are pimp.
good spot on the Harness mounting points. I've got the eyelets but have left them out because as yet I don't have a harness ;)

good point actually where do Harnesses attach on the floor?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lookin good. Its almost the same as mine but with a different anglle to the floor pan. I would rate its strength highly. Looks like an aluminium alloy to me

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
While ali bars are generally not FIA accepted, Ally Cats has been making aluminium rollbars in the UK for many years, and are completely functional.

I suggest you get some rubber dome cap blt head covers sometime; you get them from motorsport suppliers. I left some off on a Carbing steel bar, and it trashed a Shoei helmet at Curborough. Might have done the same to my skull :shock: .

Harnesses; you need to swap the lower seatbelt bolts for eye bolts on a UNF thread; standard threads are used in all seat belts. Get a clip in harness. Personally, I prefer to drill the shelf for eyebolts for the harness, as it gives better loading on the shoulders. Having said that, I've got a chunky harness bar waiting to go it.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a rubber cap is on the list Andy, those nuts hurt, I accidently bashed my head on it when I was ritting it.... *ouch*!

I've only got a seatbelt point on the seatbelt side, the buckle side is attached to the seat? how does that work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
1,213 Posts
nice bar and install ... some people's ignorance to engineering and materials is astounding ... especially when their confidence to talk about something they know so little of is so proportionately high !

it takes a lot more skill and knowelage to weld aluminium well, whether for a roll cage or bicycle frame ... I cant remember exact figures of the top of my head but if you double a tube's diameter it will increase its rigidity/strength by several times - replace your narrow/heavy steel tube for a larger diameter lighter alloy one and you will have greater strength for less weight

when was the last time youi saw a chromoly/steel GP bike / downhill mountain bike / tour de france winner / road wheel !!?

p.s. ... I am very happy ( and confident ) in my all alloy M2-1001 roll bar :wink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm glad there's more people piping up for the benifits of Aluiminum etc! It's a great material in the right hands!

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
In any case, on Jap meccano rollbars, its not the tube that will fail, but rather the bolts; hence vital to use #8 or 9 bolts, not just any old thing from B&Q. In addition, if/when the bolts fail in a roll, the design is such that the parts wil butt up against themselves.

But its true that Carbing is a street brand; Okuyama is used on motorsport orientated cages. Carbing is a little compromised, in that you can still fit a stock seat and hood on the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts