ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when i drive my 6 speed MSM in 6th gear at around 75-80 its at freaking 4k Rpms! :eek:

Is this normal? Hella short gears! What can i do to change this?

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
LOL. First miata you've owned I guess. Completely normal and about the only thing reasonably priced you can do is get a taller gear for your differential, but it still won't change the rpm cruise limit that much. Don't worry though. You can cruise for hours at 5k rpms and about the only thing that will happen is heat soak

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL. First miata you've owned I guess. Completely normal and about the only thing reasonably priced you can do is get a taller gear for your differential, but it still won't change the rpm cruise limit that much. Don't worry though. You can cruise for hours at 5k rpms and about the only thing that will happen is heat soak
Yup first miata. And thanks i guess i wont worry any more :D

Damn i cant sleep catching up with all you guys! The DIY Thread is Sick!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
idk about great gas mileage, i averaged just shy of 20mpg once during a higher-rpm 200 mile trip.

also, cruise will not work above 105mph.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not to thread jack... But why does the 6-speed cruise at higher RPM's? Majority of cars I've been in, 5-speeds cruise higher than 6-speeds. My friends 5-speed 01 gets better gas mileage than my 01 6-speed doing 65mph (average) on the highway for ~200 miles. To me, that logically doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not to thread jack... But why does the 6-speed cruise at higher RPM's? Majority of cars I've been in, 5-speeds cruise higher than 6-speeds. My friends 5-speed 01 gets better gas mileage than my 01 6-speed doing 65mph (average) on the highway for ~200 miles. To me, that logically doesn't make sense.
If I have this correct, NB 6-speeds have either a 3.9 or 3.63 final drive ratio compared to the 4.10s on the 5-speed NB and 1.8 NA. The 6th gear is a tad bit shorter than the 5th gear on the 5-speed.

http://www.miata.net/garage/KnowYourCar/S8_Gears.html

·
Clappin' dem cheeks!
1,876 Posts
Cabbs is right. The 6 speed cruises at slightly lower rpm then a 5 speed car that has the 4.30 or the 4.10 i believe. All 6 speeds had the 3.90 rear end (in the usa). If the rpm really bother you put a set of 3.63 in and should lower the rpm a bit.

·
Roll Bar God
2,172 Posts
If I have this correct, NB 6-speeds have either a 3.9 or 3.63 final drive ratio compared to the 4.10s on the 5-speed NB and 1.8 NA. The 6th gear is a tad bit shorter than the 5th gear on the 5-speed.

http://www.miata.net/garage/KnowYourCar/S8_Gears.html
No miatas were sold in the US with a 3.6 rear end, the 3.6 was a AUS / EU market spec (Japan too?).
US 6 speed cars were sold with a 3.9 at the beginning of the NB production and later switched to 4.1 (Including the MSM, IIRC).
US NB 5 speeds were sold with a 4.3 in the beginning, and later switched to a 4.1 .

Moti

·
Registered
28 Posts
No miatas were sold in the US with a 3.6 rear end, the 3.6 was a AUS / EU market spec (Japan too?).
US 6 speed cars were sold with a 3.9 at the beginning of the NB production and later switched to 4.1 (Including the MSM, IIRC).
US NB 5 speeds were sold with a 4.3 in the beginning, and later switched to a 4.1 .

Moti
this being said can mate the later nb 6speed to a 91 1.6 i would like a 6speed in a 4.1

·
Banned
187 Posts
Just curious but what is the common way calibrate your speedo if you change the final drive gears in miata's? Speedo sensor? engine management?

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
MSM comes with a 4.1

I put a 3.9 into mine, and according to speed traps that post your speed for you to see, my car is still doing 2-5mph under what the speedo says depending on my speed.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
It doesn't. The effective final gear in both the 6-speed and the 5-speed are near as much equivalent, so either your car needs a tuneup or you and/or your friend are bad at math.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts