ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I started a thread in the newbie section introducing myself and someone suggested I start a project thread. So, here you go!

I got it from a speed shop in santa clara, basically what happened was someone brought their car to this shop, the shop pulled the cylinder head to see what was wrong, found a chipped valve, the customer couldn't afford the bill so he sold the car to the shop and the shop sold it to me with a rebuilt cylinder head for $1900. :) It needed a few things, but was mostly sound. The only bad thing is the car was totaled on the passenger rear quarter panel, the damage is cosmetic only and they did an ok job at fixing it but I don't think the quarter panel and bumper will ever line up... I'm not too worried about it though. Anyway since I got it I've done the following:

rewired the stereo (it was staying on even with the car off, haha)
painted the license plate panel black (it was silver which clashed terribly with the red)
reconnected the left side speaker
broke off the wheel locks since I didn't get a key with the car
added a temporary battery tie down, it didn't have one before, but I really need to find a good one...
removed the stock antenna
added a new convertible top, the window was pretty much ripped out of the old one

Here's a pic of the new top being tested in the rain, no leaks! :mrgreen:

and a pic of the "before" ride height:

Next was a set of coilovers of course! Here's a pic of the megan racing EZ street coilovers that I got for it

slammed... my buddy josh in the car.

and just to say I could... (sorry for the cell pic...)

It was much too low for my tastes at the height though. I had 2 1/2 inches from the bottom of my pinch to the ground and it scraped everywhere... Now it's at 3 1/4 inches and it's muuuuuch better. I think I'll keep it at about this height for now.

Next up is an upgrade to the brakes. I just picked up a set of 94+ brake calipers today from a member here, so more to come!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Side shots please it seems like they go pretty low
sorry I raised it back up already before getting any side shots, but they have plenty of adjustment since you can not only adjust the spring perch but also thread the threaded part into the bottom mounting part, if that makes sense? I had the rears all the way down but could've taken out one or two of the lock nuts to get another 1/4 or 1/2 inch or so. The fronts could still have gone down another inch or so which would've probably put the frame rails almost sitting on the ground... It was way too low for me, I had to use a jack and a bunch of 2x4's in order to get it on/off the alignment rack at my work, high-centered getting out of my driveway (I was going at as extreme an angle as possible), high centered on a dip around the corner from my house, etc. Now that I've raised it up a little bit it doesn't scrape any speedbumps or anything as long as you go slow. Here's how it sits now:

I'll get some better pictures of the spoiler later today

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put a ebay maf adaptor and filter on the other day, and then went down to lowe's and got some sheet metal and made myself a custom heat sheild. I honestly didn't think it was going to work well but I figured why not for less than $5, but after driving around for a while if you put your hand on one side of it and then the other you can feel a noticable difference in temperature. It might just be a placebo from the car sounding better, but it feels like it pulls a little harder in the high rpms too. Overall I think it's a worthwhile mod for less than $25 altogether.

Today I decided to install the 94+ calipers I picked up. I put on 4 new rotors but I'm using the pads that cam with the calipers that had about 40-50% life left. It's only temporary until I can afford some hawk pads though. Here's some pics from the days work:

And lastly, I promised some pics of the spoiler (sorry it took me so long). I still have no idea what kind it is, maybe you guys can help identify it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well alright, looks like no one really cares what I've been up to with the car, but I'll go ahead and share anyway. :roll:

New ebay shift knob that's actually pretty nice. It's nice to have a shift knob that actually threads on, the previous owner attempted to JB weld a universal knob on which, needless to say, did not work... Also in this pic is my new stereo, I needed something with USB input so the cd didn't skip over every bump, also since it's a "digital media reciever" (doesn't play cd's, it has USB and AUX inputs only) it's actually way lighter than a traditional cd player. Yes I know my dash trim is chopped up, that's the way I got it. It honestly doesn't really bother me that much though.

Parked like this because I could :phillyb:

Out with the carpet! Didn't realize the whole dash had to come out until I was about an hour into it, but it was actually pretty easy to pull so I just went ahead and pulled it. The carpet and sound deadening will remain out of the car for weight reduction.

who needs seats anyway?

Finished product. What are those bolts in the floor you ask? Oh I forgot to mention the whole reason for pulling the carpet in the first place was to install my flyin miata frame rails. I forgot to get a pic of the underside, and they'll already be very scratched now, lol. But they make a HUGE difference in the feel of the car. I guess most of the body roll I thought I had was really chassis flex!

The car has been having an issue overheating whenever I start pushing it hard and keep the rpms high lately, so that'll be the next thing to tackle. I picked up a 180 degree thermostat that I'll probably install tomorrow, and then I want to relocate the front license plate so it's not blocking a huge part of the front grill and go from there. Since the cylinder head was just rebuilt, the head gasket, coolant, and water pump should be new. (they replaced the timing belt, so I can only guess they changed the water pump then too) I haven't looked into it too far yet since I had finals at school this week, but should be more to come soon.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
You stripped the carpet to save weight but you still have a radio and a style bar? Also, why is your tombstone half missing?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You stripped the carpet to save weight but you still have a radio and a style bar? Also, why is your tombstone half missing?
well if you read the post you would have seen this:

since it's a "digital media reciever" (doesn't play cd's, it has USB and AUX inputs only) it's actually way lighter than a traditional cd player. Yes I know my dash trim is chopped up, that's the way I got it. It honestly doesn't really bother me that much though.
The style bar was there when I got the car too. A hard dog roll bar is high priority on my list of mods that I want to do, but that style bar actually feels fairly sturdy so I figure it's better than having nothing so might as well leave it in in the meantime

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
well if you read the post you would have seen this:

The style bar was there when I got the car too. A hard dog roll bar is high priority on my list of mods that I want to do, but that style bar actually feels fairly sturdy so I figure it's better than having nothing so might as well leave it in in the meantime
I just looked at the pictures.

You roll. Bar folds. Head pops off. I wouldn't have it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just looked at the pictures.

You roll. Bar folds. Head pops off. I wouldn't have it.
Well sure, but if I take it out and roll I'm just as dead as having it in there, if not slightly more. I can stand on the thing and it doesn't flex so I feel it will at least do something in a roll compared to having no bar whatsoever. A real roll bar will be one of the next things I do but I can only modify as funds allow.

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
^That's what I was thinking too but this one looks longer than a NB spoiler so I'm kinda confused by it as well. :dunno:

Edit: I just searched some photos and a NB spoiler is that long, so I was wrong about that. That one appears to definitely be a NB factory spoiler. It looks really nice to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
adamvanxxx, so are you trying to say that having NO bar is safer than a style bar? I'll admit I haven't actually seen any crash pictures/videos except for the ones you just showed me, so if that's true and you and others here agree that it's safer to have no bar then I will remove it until I can afford a roll bar.

The spoiler very well could be an NB spoiler, you can only just see in the pics but the bottom of it has a small gap you can fit your pinky in so it doesn't line up perfectly. You can't tell it's there unless the trunk is open and you look from the bottom though

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Search style bar. Every single thread will have people saying it is a death trap.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a flash drive about this size for my head unit. Much better than having a huge drive sticking out of the face plate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^Thank you! I didn't know they made ones that small I will definitely look into that :)

As for the style bar, you're not answering what I'm asking, which is, is having a style bar worse than having no bar?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts