ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have started on my second LS1 Miata build so I decided to do another build thread for my new build. My first Miata swap has been running strong and is a blast to drive! The only issue with the car is rust!! I have rust everywhere!! I decided to buy a rust free shell and redo the swap into it. The new shell came in today so as soon as the driver dropped it off I got to work.

Original build thread: http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=28433

The new shell is a 97 with 32k miles and zero rust. The car costed me $700 plus shipping. The original owner decided to paint the car black cherry, which looks like crap. I don't get why people do the things they do...:fp:

I sanded the paint on the rockers and they are rust free, no bondo, so I'm in good shape.

As soon as the car hit the ground I washed it and looked for rust.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Rust free floor pans!! I cleaned the floor pans and prepared them for tomorrow. I'm going to paint the pans with Pro-15 and lay Dynamat. My Miata now gets way too hot from the trans and dual exhaust pipes running by the floor pans.

Goal: I'm going to keep the car as daily drivable as possible. I get way too much attention in the white Miata right now. I'm also going to try and hit 500HP to the wheels NA. If I can't hit 500HP NA I will be adding some nitrous. I have big plans for this build so its going to be a slow process.

Thanks

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Re: 500 HP LS1 Miata Build

I'm Very much looking Forward to this!

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts

^^^i think the fact that it is just a shell helps with the monster truckin look

·
Mufasa in Training
33,971 Posts

What color is that? Doesn't look factory.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

My last Miata had a 3" by 3" hole in the floor pans. I was not going to let this happen to this Miata. I bought this kit and got to work!

After two hours of cleaning, sanding surface rust, and priming she is ready for paint.

Painting:

Maybe a little over kill???

Done!! I put two coats on everything that I will be covering with Dynamat. It might be over kill but I don't want to deal with rust later on. Car is now ready for Dynamat.

-QUESTION- What does this go to?

It ran along the driver door jam and seat. Came from this hole on the transmission tunnel:

Thats it for today guys. Will start laying Dynamat tomorrow!

·
Mufasa in Training
33,971 Posts

That's exactly what it is. D'oh!

Btw...wish I could take my car off the road and strip it to the tub like that!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

More progress!

I started to lay the heat/sound barrier:

Transmission tunnel:

Floor pan:

I couldn't figure out what overlays I had on the gauge cluster so I opened it up. They say IL Motorsports on them so I decided to keep them on. I wonder how they look at night... :mrgreen:

Installed the new pedals:

Thats it for today. I will finish laying the heat barrier on the floor pans and transmission tunnel this weekend.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

nice man. Looks like your off to a good start! What will you be doing with the white one when once the black one is done?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

nice man. Looks like your off to a good start! What will you be doing with the white one when once the black one is done?
I might swap a stock motor and transmission into it and use it as a winter beater. Or I could have two LS1 Miatas...:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Finally finished the driver side!!

Took a few days just to do the driver side. I never worked with Dynamat before and I hope I never have to again. This stuff takes forever to cut and lay...I also have 11 mosquito bites on my legs from working at night...:fp: Thats with the garage door closed!!

I will have the passenger side done by Monday night.

·
Supporting Member
436 Posts

Interesting thread... one to watch I think!!

Russell.

1 - 20 of 465 Posts