ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys its been a while, i havent been to kinod in quite a bit. anyhow i was going into work at 2am this morning on the I-10 west, a normally boring stretch of freeway where i live when i encountered the unexpected... a river of water running across all lanes. there is an active construction site and the water appeared to be coming from there. i'm not sure exactly what happened but as soon as i hit it i was sliding into the center divider nose first, i dont even think i had time to save it. once i realized impact was approaching i just stepped on the brakes and tucked into my sparco speed seat. i hit drivers side/nose first, spun around counterclockwise and then backed into the center divider with my car taking up 3/4 of the fast lane. i looked right out the passenger window in time to see a couple cars swerve around me. i jumped out and hopped over the divider so i didnt get hit by my own car, and someone elses. after several close call with unexpecting traffic i hopped in and she started up first try! i was then able to get pulled over in a safe spot. the damage is bad, real bad. the front end is trash, hood buckled up fenders pushed back a bit. the rear bumper cover is trash as well from when i backed into the wall. what can i say, i have no idea why i'm not really hurt... god was looking out for me, no doubt. i have no drivers airbag, i think my sparco harnesses probably saved me serious injury. the passenger airbag was deployed. youre all going to hate me but i dont have any pics of the damage yet. the yard that has it is closed till monday :oops:
when the CHP came they sat and watched cars drive through the river. they said since no one else spun out and i wasnt cut off in my accident i was at fault :twisted:
apparently if i were to flood a road and someone crashed i would be free on any responsibility?!
any ideas on what i should buy next? my car had a salvage title and a $2500 deductable so i'm sure i'm going to get screwed. aftermarket parts were insured for up to $3500. should i just keep the wreck, buy another miata and throw the goodies on it? i dont know i'm kind of pissed, sad, and frustrated? i'll post pics soon

Before:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
you had that kind of crash and walked away? sounds like the miatas treat you well. you know what I'm saying

·
Registered
698 Posts
Holy **** man. I'm totally amazed that you walked away with no apparent injuries. You should definitely get yourself checked out sometime this week as far as the doctor is concerned. For the sake of saving money, I think it would be a good idea to buy another miata. I know it sucks that your ride is gone, but it served it's purpose by protecting you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
you had that kind of crash and walked away? sounds like the miatas treat you well. you know what I'm saying
I second getting another miata, I hit a fairly large deer with mine not too long ago and was able to drive away afterward. Hearing about your accident only reinforces the idea that these cars are pretty tough. Glad to hear that you're ok!

·
3,857 Posts
That is just plain wrong!
I'll go to the court and try to fight it.
You see durring flooding the level of water is not constant.

-> If you were the first car passing the level was probably higher.

-> Furthermore the dynamic characteristics of every car are different!
A 2200 lbs car is more prone to Hydroplaning than a 3000 lbs car.
Also a rear wheel drive car is more difficult to control than a AWD or a FWD car.

-> Is the CHP a suspension/automotive engineer or a racecar driver and is making these kind of assumptions?

If I were you I would have
- tried to get some crappy pictures with my camera phone (or better ones if I had my camera)

- measured the depth of the water in various areas in the street and ask the CHP to verify my measurements.

- ask the CHP to verify the thread of my tires

- go to the court

You can actually still do most of the above actions!
Find out what was the size of the pipe that broke - that might give the court an idea of how bad was the situation.

·
3,857 Posts
BTW I'm glad that you are ok Brian (seriously that's the most important)...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Damn I really liked your car man sorry to hear that. Glad you ok too. I don't know if you want a different car but if you still like your na get another one.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys.. i feel like ive been demoted to pre-drivers license hell again;-) my girlfriends been amazing driving me around but ive got to get something quick. i havent gotten a chance to see underhood yet so i'm hoping the engine and all boltons are salvagable. the motor only had 90,000 on it. ive decided to keep my eyes open for another na... theyre great cars and this is a great community to be a part of. thanks for the kind words-

1 - 20 of 33 Posts