ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a good suspension set up for daily driving. i want it drop at close to the tire at possible ( planning to buy the sportmax 501 with 15offset. )

should i go with tein basic? or some mix stuffs? please help.

·
2,708 Posts
agx/gc setup can get you pretty low.

better than flex too IMO
I would like to try some of the crack you're smoking.

The AGX shock bodies are about stock length, whereas the Teins have shortened bodies. That's one advantage over the AGXs.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,650 Posts
^^^^ Yea **** koni/ground controll, its only a proven SCCA national winning set up. (moran)
I think you meant "moron". In any case, he wasn't talking about Konis. He was referring to GC's on AGX's.

The fact is AGX's just don't support very competetive spring rates. They are basically one step up from stock shocks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
^^^^ Yea **** koni/ground controll, its only a proven SCCA national winning set up. (moran)
I think you meant "moron". In any case, he wasn't talking about Konis. He was referring to GC's on AGX's.

The fact is AGX's just don't support very competetive spring rates. They are basically one step up from stock shocks.
They might actually surprise you. I co-drove a friend's car at an event at the end of last year and he was running GC/AGXs with a 500 lb spring up front. I couldn't believe that he was running a spring that stiff with the AGXs, but it felt very good and totally controlled. He only had the damping at 5-6 out of 8. Surprised the hell out of me.

I'm a big fan of my Flex coilovers and they really do let you get the car low, prevent bottoming out on the bumpstops, and are fairly comfortable with the damping turned down.

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,650 Posts
They might actually surprise you. I co-drove a friend's car at an event at the end of last year and he was running GC/AGXs with a 500 lb spring up front. I couldn't believe that he was running a spring that stiff with the AGXs, but it felt very good and totally controlled. He only had the damping at 5-6 out of 8. Surprised the hell out of me.
I wonder how long they lasted. That's honestly the first time I've heard of anyone running over 400lb on either end.

·
Registered
98 Posts
KSPORTS coilovers are avaiable for around that price.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wonder how long they lasted. That's honestly the first time I've heard of anyone running over 400lb on either end.
Bryan, I thought the exact same thing, but he ran that setup for at least two seasons that I know of! He just swapped over to Koni Race shocks up front and higher spring rates, and he said he's a little disappointed b/c he can't really tell much of a difference.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,650 Posts
Bryan, I thought the exact same thing, but he ran that setup for at least two seasons that I know of! He just swapped over to Koni Race shocks up front and higher spring rates, and he said he's a little disappointed b/c he can't really tell much of a difference.
Daily Driver? If not, I can understand them lasting a long time. Head scratcher for sure...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Best $800 suspension:

Converted NB Mounts ($100 if you DIY)
Short bumpstops ($100)
Bilstein HD Shocks (super cheap used, $400 new)
Racing Beat big front anti-sway bar ($200, with hardware kit)

If you find a used set of Bilsteins, they're cheap to have revalved - something like $65 a shock, built to handle any spring rate you want. There's a lot of new info suggesting that the Bilstein HD's can handle much higher spring rates than stock - in the 400 lb range - even right off the shelf.

If you're adventurous, lots of people have had success with eBay coilovers - just use the sleeves, and junk the springs, and replace them with QA-1's or Eibachs of the correct length, diameter, and rate. You can have the same set up as a Ground Control kit for significantly less money. National champion autocross drivers have vouched for the effectiveness of this setup.

·
2,708 Posts
I bet there's some Cheating Bastards shenanigans going on,haha. He probably had them re-valved. My AGX's lasted a year and half, when I took them off I could compress it with 2 fingers.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Best $800 suspension:

Converted NB Mounts ($100 if you DIY)
Short bumpstops ($100)
Bilstein HD Shocks (super cheap used, $400 new)
Racing Beat big front anti-sway bar ($200, with hardware kit)

If you find a used set of Bilsteins, they're cheap to have revalved - something like $65 a shock, built to handle any spring rate you want. There's a lot of new info suggesting that the Bilstein HD's can handle much higher spring rates than stock - in the 400 lb range - even right off the shelf.

If you're adventurous, lots of people have had success with eBay coilovers - just use the sleeves, and junk the springs, and replace them with QA-1's or Eibachs of the correct length, diameter, and rate. You can have the same set up as a Ground Control kit for significantly less money. National champion autocross drivers have vouched for the effectiveness of this setup.
ding ding ding. We have a winner. I've been working with revalving a bilstien for another platform, and they are a great shock for not a lot of money. They don't have adjustment knobs, but if you get something set right, you don't really have much need to change them.

I'm not really a fan of the tein stuff. especially thier low end stuff. The ground control sleeve and a quality spring is a good way to get hieght adjustment. Spring choice is important. Cheap springs can be under $100 a pair new. quality ones (KW, Swift, etc) can be $200 a pair. You get consistancy and repeatability with these. With Tein Springs and others, you don't really know if the spring rate they are labeled with is really thier spring rate.

If you want your suspension to "work" and you want it low, you will need stiffer than normal spring rates to use it on the street, and you won't want to cut your bumpstops. Bump stops have a built in spring rate to keep your car from becoming completely unsettled when you hit them. If you cut them, your shock body gets slammed into the chassis of the car when it bottoms out. this makes a car extremely hard to drive.

If you are on a budget, get the Koni yellows or a set of bilsteins, a set of upper mounts, and gc sleeves.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the advices. my cousin going to order for me the tein SS :)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Daily Driver? If not, I can understand them lasting a long time. Head scratcher for sure...
Im running 450/375 gc on agx, dailied for 10k miles, works just fine. shocks havent given up yet. and before this I ran the suggested 375/250 for about 10k.

I drift this setup, the rates are not ideal for autox. but its a pretty snappy weight transfer.

--add
I dissembled and inspected my suspension last fall (last significant driving really) and my shocks arent dead but I dont know how long that will be true., when they go they will be replaced with koni race in front and sport in rear. the miata has been kinda sidelined in various states of repair since December.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts