ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anybody in the PDX/Southern washington have a good extra 1.6l catalytic converter laying around... I gotta go through DEQ/Emissions soon and my cat is blown out dead. Send me a pm if you got one! thanks!

btw ill buy you lunch or something to compensate for your time and effort :)

~mike

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a friend that put some distilled alcohol in his gas tank and it was almost too low of emissions to test. Haha. Maybe try that? I guess he got it at lowes. It was in an s13 with an sr20.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a good idea... unfortunatly i dont even have a cat in it anymore, only a test pipe... the cat was so messed up it was hard starting/and serious lack of power ( almost 5 psi of back pressure precat ) i have access to a sniffer at work to try the alcohol thing but im highly doubtful it will pass lol

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
RWD_Only passed with a test pipe and throttle bodies, so I doubt you'll have any issues.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
RWD_Only passed with a test pipe and throttle bodies, so I doubt you'll have any issues.

Although a well kept Miata runs quite clean I'm going to go out on a limb and say that was a fluke.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i guess ill be coming in to work tomorrow and giving the sniffer a try lol
thanks for all the responses guys!

eh chris! will you be coming home before you ship out to the other paradise besides hawaii?

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
Possibly. Then again miatas don't put out a lot of emissions to begin with. As you know the cat doesn't get hot enough to actually do its job under normal driving conditions, which means we'd fail the test every time if we just drove into DEQ on any given day. I know this because I did just that. I failed miserably then went on a hard 10 min drive and passed with flying colors. The guy there looked at the printouts like WTF?

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
I have no idea when I have to go in next :p

Remind me to give you your cat back once I get one of my own. It should go nicely with the exhaust and header I have in mind :mrgreen:

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
You'll still need a cat, even if you'd pass without. They'll do a visual inspection for one if you're not OBDII, as the computer will tell it it's catless I think.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
any chance that it would be this weekend? hahaha
If I could I would, but I'm not exactly close to home :p

You'll still need a cat, even if you'd pass without. They'll do a visual inspection for one if you're not OBDII, as the computer will tell it it's catless I think.
They didn't look at mine. Maybe it depends on who's doing the test and if they give a f*ck :dunno:

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
That's true, couple of times they haven't bothered to check, just know that if you go catless, not only will it be difficult to pass, but 75% of the time you'll fail by default. They'll be more suspicious if you're loud, which it should be quite a bit over stock with a cat delete, yes?

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
If he has a stock exhaust maybe not. Now with an aftermarket system, like a corksport, then yeah it might be more noticeable.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
If he has a stock exhaust maybe not. Now with an aftermarket system, like a corksport, then yeah it might be more noticeable.
I haven't had issues with noise. Even if that did bother them the car would still pass. All they care about is what is coming out the back.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
And that there's a cat...

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
And that there's a cat...
Yes, what comes out the back. I've only once had them flip the mirror on a handle under the car to see what was down there. The rest of the time it was just what the sniffer read and off I went.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My friend had a cat, went in for emissions, didn't pass, put the alcohol in it and they almost couldn't test it because it was too clean. Stupid emissions... :fab:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts