ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
3,857 Posts
Problem: The diameter of the inlet on the flange is smaller than 90mm.
True but the TB has the shaft inside so the actual throughput is less than a 90mm pipe.
Anyway this is usually useful for guys with superchargers... I'm not sure if anyone else needs a bigger TB.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take care of that part. Adaptor from factory manifold to tb + problem solved. or just cut intake manifold and weld adaptor plate there.

Ebay has a bunch of universal 90mm tb but I don't know how to adapt the TPS to fit.
i am sure is easy as hell but I am curious

·
3,857 Posts
I'll take care of that part. Adaptor from factory manifold to tb + problem solved. or just cut intake manifold and weld adaptor plate there.

Ebay has a bunch of universal 90mm tb but I don't know how to adapt the TPS to fit.
i am sure is easy as hell but I am curious
That, or get a custom intake... but why you need it?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because I almost done with the turbo and the intercooler pipes to TB are too big.

Ebay has universal 90mm TB but without IAC valve and I don' know if the Mazda TPS is plug and play with those universal 90mm TBs.. I will temporarily modify an OEM TB until I figure out how to do it right.

But 90mm TB is perfect and plug and play for my setup. Capiche?

·
3,857 Posts
Because I almost done with the turbo and the intercooler pipes to TB are too big.

Ebay has universal 90mm TB but without IAC valve and I don' know if the Mazda TPS is plug and play with those universal 90mm TBs.. I will temporarily modify an OEM TB until I figure out how to do it right.

But 90mm TB is perfect and plug and play for my setup. Capiche?
Define perfect.
Perfect because it matches the color or size of the IC piping, or because you need it?
I can tell you that 90mm is too big and you might end up with an on/off throttle response but go ahead and find that for your self :cool: after expensive mods...

Have you done any calculations where you base your conclusion that you need 90mm TB?
What's your IC in and out pipe size?
Pls don't tell you that you have same IC size in and out... :fab:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just want to bring up two quick points here and then I'm out.

1.There have been tests that have conclusively shown that using too large of a throttle body beneath a certain airflow amount will actually cause you to lose power...everywhere. Lower peak torque, lower horsepower as a result. If I get a second, I'll dig up the results.

2. 3" ->2.5" silicone reducers are CHEEEEEAP. This will cost $$$. Aluminum welding and machining costs will be more expensive. Even with the homie hookup, you will still pay less to just buy an adapter.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Define perfect.
Perfect because it matches the color or size of the IC piping, or because you need it?
I can tell you that 90mm is too big and you might end up with an on/off throttle response but go ahead and find that for your self :cool: after expensive mods...

Have you done any calculations where you base your conclusion that you need 90mm TB?
What's your IC in and out pipe size?
Pls don't tell you that you have same IC size in and out... :fab:
sorry if I sound confusing. Just want to use the less piping possible the easiest route without need of reducers and extra clamps. As usual, this topic is shifting to another topic.

·
3,857 Posts

1.There have been tests that have conclusively shown that using too large of a throttle body beneath a certain airflow amount will actually cause you to lose power...everywhere. Lower peak torque, lower horsepower as a result. If I get a second, I'll dig up the results.

2. 3" ->2.5" silicone reducers are CHEEEEEAP. This will cost $$$. Aluminum welding and machining costs will be more expensive. Even with the homie hookup, you will still pay less to just buy an adapter.
+1

·
Registered
64 Posts

+2

You're making this really complicated for a modification which will likely rob you of power. Savington on the Miata.net/MiataTurbo.com forums has made 380whp on the stock TB. You could get the BEGI manifold and put a 70mm Mustang TB on with a TPS adapter from BEGI and that would likely be all you ever need. I think eliminator is making his +500whp with a 70mm TB also, so you can see why people are questioning your thought process on using a 90mm TB. Just because you don't want to use a reducer is a ridiculous answer if the outcome is causing you loss of mid-top range power.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Or how about this, Corksport won't make it, because you would be the only one to buy it.

·
3,857 Posts
Or how about this, Corksport won't make it, because you would be the only one to buy it.
Good to hear from you Logan, how is everything?
Any updates from your miata?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well since Corksport won't make can you share info as to how you did yours? I need to modify my TB to fit my intercooler so it is either bigger TB or modify OEM TB.

·
Registered
569 Posts
So wait, lets just recap so I can be sure I'm understanding this:

You want a 90mm throttle body because you are running 4" I/C pipes. Do you have a logical reason for this? Does your intake manifold have the appropriate sizing to accomodate this?

I'm sorry, but this is kind of like going to school to be a brewmaster just so you can have one beer. Buy a damn reducer and put it on the TB side of your I/C.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

You want a 90mm throttle body because you are running 4" I/C pipes. Do you have a logical reason for this? Does your intake manifold have the appropriate sizing to accomodate this?

I'm sorry, but this is kind of like going to school to be a brewmaster just so you can have one beer. Buy a damn reducer and put it on the TB side of your I/C.
no. I need to upgrade to bigger TB because I don't have too much space in my engine bay. and additional hose and clamps is not an option for my set up.

But besides that I am happy with the 70mm and hose reducer. hook me up with the info and I'll make one based on those 70mm universal throttle bodies sold on Ebay

·
3,857 Posts

no. I need to upgrade to bigger TB because I don't have too much space in my engine bay. and additional hose and clamps is not an option for my set up.

But besides that I am happy with the 70mm and hose reducer. hook me up with the info and I'll make one based on those 70mm universal throttle bodies sold on Ebay
I was trying to avoid saying that but this starts looking like the holy grail coolant re-route... :woolery:

Do you mind to share what make you pick 4" IC pipes and a super thick IC?
How do you plan to connect things if you don't want to yous clams and silicon couplers? Maybe weld the whole thing together as one piece?

Trying to think outside of the box is a good thing, but trying just to be different isn't... there is no reason to reinvent the wheel
There IS A REASON people don't use a 90mm TB and there is also a reason people don't use 90mm diameter piping...

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hello MaxPower. The reason I went with such a big diameter has to do with intercooler core as inside is about 4 inches. but that is shifting the point of this topic. I wish Father Leaf foot can post pics of how he did his 70mm but I think I can do it with a little bit of research I can do the same throttle body upgrade.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts