ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 884 Posts

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I feel I have made enough progress in buying parts and starting to modify my car that I can start a build thread :lol:

My car is a 1991 BRG that originally had all options but an auto tranny.

Parts acquired thus far:

-LS6 engine with 9,000 miles out of an 01 Corvette Z06, no A/C or PS (installed)
-V8 Roadsters subframe mounting kit (includes tubular subframe, engine mounts, tranny crossmember, and frame rail braces) (installed)
-T56 transmission out of a 1999 Trans Am (6 speed), with B&M short shifter and skip-shift eliminator (installed)
-Spec Stage 2 clutch (installed)
-Drive by Wire throttle pedal from a 97-04 Vette (installed)
-Walbro 255 (installed)
-Vette Filter/Regulator (installed)
-AN fittings and stainless lines for fuel (installed)
-New Clutch Master Cylinder, bleed line (installed)
-CTS Diff (05, 54k, 3.42 gears and LSD) and diff vent (installed)
-V8R Stage 1 Mounting kit (installed)
-Refreshed Hubs/Wheel bearings courtesy of Planet Miata (installed)
-Sport brakes (installed)
-OEM engine harness converted to standalone by Speartech (installed)
-TAC box to DBW pedal harness (Speartech also) (installed)
-V8R screw-on oil filter oil pan (installed)
-FM V8 Swap Front Sway Bar (installed)
-FM Cross Flow Radiator (installed)
-Mezeire Race Electric Water Pump (installed)
-Racing Beat Endlinks F/R (installed)
-949Racing 6UL's; 15x9 +36 with 225/45/15 Toyo R1Rs (sold), now 15x10 +25 6ULs
-ECU reflash (delete VATS and 2 of the 4 o2 sensors it is looking for, base map for cam)(done/installed)
-o2 sensors (installed)
-Summit Digital Gauge Panel (SUM-800600) (installed)
-Custom carbon "smooth" half dash modeled after GHO race dash (in progress)
-Flyin Miata headers (ceramic coated by local shop) (installed)
-6.0L Starter wrapped in starter blanket (installed)
-MSM Brake Master Cylinder and Booster (installed)

Parts that I still need for the swap:

Exhaust
-Exhaust system (installed)

Other
-Seats
-Cage

Progress pics

Project goals:
-Shaved, tucked, and stitch welded bay (done)
-2200-2300lb curb weight (no A/C, PS, Cruise, ABS, heater)

Random notes:
-OEM Miata wiring harness with plugs for all options weighed 17lbs.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Exhaust
-Headers, waiting to see what FM comes out with (it's weird using the plural form of the word haha )
WASTE of money! Look at the Sanderson headers that are now made for the V8r kit. Also, a company now sells a full bolt on stainless steel exhaust for your kit. I bet the FM exhaust kit will be over $2k!

Part number for the headers: Sanderson Headers LS150M (Price is $350 I think...)

http://enthuzacar.com/ makes the bolt on exhaust. Its true dual/stainless steel/under $1k last time I called them...Stainless is more

-Speedometer solution
Bam! http://www.jegs.com/i/Cyberdyne/280/C270E161N/10002/-1

I can keep going lol ;)

Also, call FM and buy the heat shields for the motor mounts ASAP!!! They are $34.95 for the pair and will protect your motor mounts from melting. Mine started to melt so I need to drop the subframe again. I guess FM had this issue on a few cars as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm also building a V8R, LS2,T56,Getrag 3:43, one area to watch is the relocation of the raditor. It needs to move forward several inches, along with the front sway bar. Also pound some extra speedometer connector clearance in the tunnel. You will be glad you did later. It looks great. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
OH BOY!!!

This has been on of the most memorable cars on the board and now its getting a proper engine, I'm so excited for this!

Subscribed.

p.s.

i'm glad i know about that Enthuza exhaust now

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WASTE of money! Look at the Sanderson headers that are now made for the V8r kit. Also, a company now sells a full bolt on stainless steel exhaust for your kit. I bet the FM exhaust kit will be over $2k!

Part number for the headers: Sanderson Headers LS150M (Price is $350 I think...)

http://enthuzacar.com/ makes the bolt on exhaust. Its true dual/stainless steel/under $1k last time I called them...Stainless is more

Bam! http://www.jegs.com/i/Cyberdyne/280/C270E161N/10002/-1

I can keep going lol ;)

Also, call FM and buy the heat shields for the motor mounts ASAP!!! They are $34.95 for the pair and will protect your motor mounts from melting. Mine started to melt so I need to drop the subframe again. I guess FM had this issue on a few cars as well.
^^THIS guy rocks. You and TurboTyla have been a huge help with questions I've had on the swap or just the motor in general and resources that I hadn't encountered until you linked me to them--thanks!!

I have a little bit of a surprise planned for the exhaust, but it's good to know about the headers AND heat shields!

I'm also building a V8R, LS2,T56,Getrag 3:43, one area to watch is the relocation of the raditor. It needs to move forward several inches, along with the front sway bar. Also pound some extra speedometer connector clearance in the tunnel. You will be glad you did later. It looks great. Good luck.
What made you decide on the 3:43? I'm not that fluent in gear speak but I asked around and thought the 3.73 would be ok, but someone the other day mentioned they thought I was just going to fry the tires off with that gearing.... lol.
I'll see how the rad works out, since I won't have A/C I figured if I needed to I could use the extra space in front :) Thanks for the heads up on that and the speedo connector!

I'm trying to restrain myself here, but I'm afraid I just can't.

:mrgreen: Awesome build Jess! Best of luck!
lol!

OH BOY!!!

This has been on of the most memorable cars on the board and now its getting a proper engine, I'm so excited for this!

Subscribed.

p.s.

i'm glad i know about that Enthuza exhaust now
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll try and make it as badass as I can ;)

I think the hardest part of all this is keeping track of the people I encounter along the way who want to see the car when it's done, lol.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
glad someone else is tackling a V8 swap themselves, fk Flyin Miata and their outrageous prices

the more common this becomes the cheaper we can buy hand me down V8 Miatas lol

1 - 20 of 884 Posts